1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking at truck... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by secret_weapon, Aug 11, 2009.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

I'm looking at a 2001 Chevy 2500HD, Reg cab, Long box, 8.1 Is there anything in peticular I should look for? Problems with engine? Has Allison trans, so that should be good. Has 90k miles. I know about the fuel mileage, so that doesn't bother me. I've looked around and it seems like a good deal.

Anyone know if EFI Live will tune this?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The early ('01-'02) 8.1's and Allison's had a few minor quirks that were overcome by the '03 model year. But it's nothing life or wallet threatening.

1) Early 8.1's are known to need an intake gasket/bolt upgrade to help reduce excessive oil consumption. Some used more that others but whether the gaskets have already been updated or not, or you have it done or not if it uses more oil than you're comfortable with has no bearing on the longevity of the engine what so ever.

2) There also know to have the crankshaft position sensors fail without warning. If you check the service records and it's never had the updated sensor installed then I recommend you have it done.

There's been TSB's on both these minor issues for years and are easily resolved. Other than that the engines are nearly bulletproof and will easily run in excess of 250,000 mi without ever cracking open the factory seal.

Same with the trans. The early ones suffered from a converter drain back issue that would cause the truck to not move when initially placed into gear after an extended period of non use. Not all trans suffered from it but if you find yours does after purchase it's an easy repair. Just needs an anti drain back kit installed. Trans removal isn't necessary for the install.

One other minor quirk is that they have no way to selectively lockout 5th gear (overdrive) like the '03-newer Allison's do. But you add it with some wiring mods and a momentary switch if you discover you'd like to add it at a later date. It also requires a dealer re-flash of the trans control module in most cases. Although it's only a 15 min job for the TCM re-flash so the dealer cost is minimal.

And yes you can most definitely tune both the engine and trans with EFI Live. wesport
  3. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Weren't the NSB switches also some times problematic with the early Allisons? Or was that only a diesel thing?

Check out www.dieselplace.com They have an EFILive section on there with several vendors who do both gas and diesel tuning.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some were yes and it wasn't just the very early years. The NSBU switches didn't officially get "addressed" until the '04 model year.
  5. secret_weapon

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to look at it and get an inspection done. If it's good i'll probably get it.
  6. Flawless

Flawless Junior Member

I have had Duramax, 8.1, 6.0, i love the Duramax but that truck i had with the 8.1 was a great truck. I never had any problems.That truck had alot of power, it had a dump bed, i would fill it with top soil, hook up to a 18 FT trailer with a bobcat and another few yards of top soil in the front. Had no problems setting the cruise at 70 up hill down hill you name it, it wanted more. Spanking Ford's V-10
  7. secret_weapon

Any chance someone could give be a ballpark idea of what this might be worth? It has been plowed with, but I'd be getting it with no plow. I want to make sure it's a fair price. I haven't said price yet, incase someone else here is looking at same truck.
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Won't give you a price estimate without seeing it but the 8.1 equipped trucks can go one of two ways. Guys who want one and know what their capable of will pay top dollar if they can find one....and those who are terrified of low MPG's won't take one for free. :D
  9. secret_weapon

LOL That's the ballpark range I was looking for!:jester: It seems there's not too many trucks with 8.1L, and even less trucks of the Reg. Cab Long bed, or no ones getting rid of them. I'm trying to get as much background on this truck before I go see it cause it's a 4.5 hr. drive. I just got the the vin so I can get the build sheet and warranty history.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Won't deny that for a second. I looked for over a year for an 8.1 equipped regular cab truck, and never found one. Guys who aren't worried about MPG's love the 8.1's as their the closest thing to a Diesel in regards to pulling power and longevity without the common downsides to one.
  11. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

slow backing speed other than that great combo