1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at truck that hauled horses

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by canoebuildah, Aug 1, 2009.

1. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

I am looking to possibly purchase a 2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L Auto with 135k. It was used by a local horse farm to haul a fifth wheel trailer. It has never had a plow on it and that is what I would be looking to add. It is at a local dealer where I know two mechanics. They told me they did the usual front end Chevy work -- new brakes, wheel bearings and an exhaust manifold with some exhaust repairs. Other than that, they say it is in good shape and motor/trans seems strong. I test drove it today and it ran fine. Was able to shift into 4x4 both Hi and Low.

I would be using this truck locally for work; mostly gravel road and less than 5k miles per year. Is there anything for me to be particularly concerned about the fact it hauled a fifth wheel trailer 135k in 4 years.
  2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I can tell you that it is my experience that people that have / haul horses of their own generally take it easy on the equipment, which is easy on the horses. However, some of that is out the window if we're talking somebody who just hauled for hire.
  3. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Senior Member

The story I am getting from someone other than the salesman is that it belonged to a family that has a daughter who barrel races. They made the trip from Maine to Univ of Ariz for the past few years plus events out west.
  4. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I agree, even if they were hired haulers they still tend to be easy on the truck. Now hauling cattle on the other hand...:D
  5. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

I agree. If they were trailering their own horses, they were taking it easy. It wouldn't concern me that the truck was hauling horses.
  6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

I disagree with this. Saw 03 F350 dually that look like it been beat up to dead. It have 394,000 miles

it was horse farm.

Not all are easy some they would drive across land.
  7. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Having grown up on a farm/fanch - with some experience pulling both cattle and horses - I would have to offer my opinion that anyone hauling a barrel racing horse cross country would most likely treat that cargo with a ton of TLC.

In relation to Mil's comment, I guess I wouldn't even be remotely interested in any vehicle that has 394,000 miles on it, regardless of what it pulled. Couldn't comprehend the last sentence, but I guess it's always better to drive across land, than, say...I don't know?

I guess I would have to take the mechanics (who serviced the vehicle) opinions over anyone on this forum.
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

the only thing that i would look at is the hitch attaching points to check for any damaged frame area's .some time's i saw some come in the shop that the hitch installation did more damage after the fact ,cracks ect .:salute:
  9. bellcityplow

bellcityplow Junior Member

Three of my trucks are 2500 Chevy's with 6.0 i bought them all off farms in Iowa all with 5Th wheels in them, i guess there the only people that order long box trucks, anyway these truck were worked hard on them farms and really hard now i am very happy with them and no problems knock on wood! if its priced right i'd say buy it.