1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking at this truck for plowing and lawn bus.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, May 20, 2003.

1. probably leaseing this truck ,,,
    2003 chevy 1500 with plow prep , tow package , 326 motor,4 by 4, was hopeing for a 3/4 ton , but the special financing and any deals gm offers dont apply to them , only the 1500 series trucks .
    its a reg cab short box.....what do you fellows think. Im leaseing for 2 years then hopefully next time a 3/4 ton....money is a factor in the decsion also.
    thanks for any input....
    chow:redbounce

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

If you have to get this type of truck at least get the long bed.You will be able to carry more and plowing is still good with it.But as always depends on how much wieght you will be carrying or towing.Bigger is always better but if money is a factor this will get you up and running.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If you plan on putting any materials in the bed, you will be sorry if you get the short box. Even with a trailer for power equipment, I would be lost without an 8' bed. Sooooo many materials come in 8' lengths. Having a 6' bed means driving with the tailgate down, and then having to worry about if the material sticking out will hit the trailer on sharp turns. A 6' bed will hold less grass clippings, less mulch, less topsoil, less crushed stone (though the stone also brings up the payload factor). The only thing worse than a 6' bed on a work truck would be a step side 6' bed IMO. Two years with a short bed would seem like forever real fast. Now, IF you have another truck for your business with an 8' bed, then by all means if you are comfortable with it, get the 6' bed.

~Chuck

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'll third the vote for the long bed,especially on a regular cab truck.With a short wheelbase it won't push snow as well,and will be less stable when towing.Would make a decent driveway truck though.Bed capacity is also marginal,and you'll have a hard time finding a slide in salter if you decide to add one later.

Check around with some other dealers.I'm not 100% sure,but I thought some of the offers,and the financing deal was on pretty much everything except the big $$ stuff (Yukon's,Caddie's,etc).Checking GM Canada's website,and reading the fine print may also be a good place to look,so your well informed when it come time to purchase.

GM Canada website

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I didnt think that chevy offered a 1500 with a plow prep???

Short beds look nice but arnt as usefull for a work truck IMO

Right now they are offering all the rebates(3000$) or financing(0% for 60 or 1.9% for 72) on all the silverados. The only vehicals that are excluded to my knowledge are the vettes, I think you only get a grand back on them. You can go to Chevys site and see the current offers. I am financing the plow on with the truck(2500HD) so I get a crazy interst rate for the plow too :cool:

I dont know about the leasing though???

6. you can finance the plow through gm also,,,, how is that possible...
    none of the good deals apply to 3/4 ton trucks and bigger , in canada....only applies to 1/2 tons,
    Yes you can get the plow prep on the 1500 (1/2 ton)series trucks also...
    i think you guys are right about the short bed. But I have a landscape trailer for hauling matereials and grass clippiings.
    I wanted the short bed for plowing , makeing the truck easier to use in tight spots. My one plow account is a large parking lot with tight turns,,,,
    thanks guys

7. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I agree you need an 8' box. Depending on the amount you are going to plow, think about a 3/4. Look into a ford, I know they offer rebates and good financing, also last year if you bought a new ford 3/4 or better and a 8' fisher they were knocking a grand off the plow. Not a bad deal. Plus I like the ford solid axle in the front. Good luck

Rick

8. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

My dad has had 3 1500 short beds and always got the plow prep package even though he doesn't plow... Figures it's good for resale... Are you sure they don't have deals on 3/4 tons? I saw an ad on TV saying that they had rebates on everything except corvettes...

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just noticed today's your birthday.

:bday: :bday: :bday:

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

You gota work with your dealer on the plow. I told them I would buy the truck if they threw the plow onto the financing. I just called the local plow joint and told them what I wanted and what I was doing with the financing and such and they sent the dealer an invoice(remember to only pay tax on it once;) ). Its pretty comon down here anyway

Canada dosnt do all the rebabtes on the 3/4tons that sux :confused:

Lots of people run 1/2's and dont have problems but it is JMO that you should run a 3/4 or 2500hd. It JMO and there are quite a few people that dont share it and it causes almost as much debate as a debate about if you should buy a ford chevy dodge.

The chevy IFS has a pretty good turning radius.

Leasing also isnt a good idea IMO but thats just me again

11. pick up my truck today
    baought a 2003 chevy 3/4 ton HD , with 6 litre motor, 4by4, locking rear end, skid plates, plow prep, tow package, extended heated mirrors.... and a few interior up grades....

This should make me happy for a while,,,,lol
    thanks for all the help, very appreciated:drinkup:

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Congrats on the new truck,it sounds sweet. :D

13. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats! Smart choice. Hope you have good luck with it. :D :drinkup:

14. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

good luck with the new truck you will like the heated mirrors when you plow.I wish i had them in mine.

15. myo

myo Senior Member

Congratulations!!! Awesome truck...That should be a good work truck.
    Good luck

16. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

Sorry I missed that you were in Canada When i first responded... You won't be sorry you got the bigger truck... I love mine. What did you end up getting for a plow? I have the 8.5 ft Fisher V-Plow... the truck handles it fine and it works great. BTW by going through my Chevy Dealer I was able to get the plow for $3800 installed and finacced with the truck... they always do it that way around here...

Last edited: May 22, 2003
  17. funny you should mention the plow wolfie
    Now I need some advise on a plow

I want to stay with 7.5 , but which brand to get......and v or not to v

My biggest account is a 3 section parking lot all adjoined , its a 80 unit condo ...... can be tight to plow in.
    plus they want any open spots cleared....
    what do you guys recomend.
    thanks
    :drinkup:

18. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Since you bought the truck, I would consider that whatever plow you put on it should be desirable to whoever purchases the truck when you sell it. At the same time, your business will grow, and if you make the mistake of buying the "wrong" plow now, you will regret it later. Since the truck is a long wheelbase, I would suggest you not get a 7.5' plow. It is just a little too short. When you don't plow in perfectly straight lines, you will be driving in the windrow of snow, squashing it back into the area you just plowed. If you plow in an arc, even more will end up under your rear wheels. I would get at least an 8' plow, and ideally, a 8.5' V plow.

That V plow will shine at the condo you plow, because you have the option of not leaving snow behind parked cars. That alone can enable you to keep the account if the competition is going to bury cars every time they plow. The condo I live in wants to contract me to plow our lot because I did it once this year with a V plow, and left no snow behind the cars. The current contractor has a Meyer straight plow, and piles the snow up behind parked cars every time he plows here. The residents hate him after the snowy winter we had this year. Can't blame him, he has a straight plow...

I would suggest Fisher, Western, Boss, Sno Way, the choice is yours. What dealers do you have locally? Do you own any other plows, and what brand are they? What brands do your plow buddies own?

~Chuck

19. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Pro Property Care,

Chuck Smith explained it pretty well. The 7.5' just won't cut it, too small. I think that you without a doubt should go with the V plow. I have a '02 2500HD and will be getting a 8.5' Fisher V plow this summer. I think it will be a great investment and it should be. :nod:

20. wyldman

wyldman Member

What Chuck said is true.Minimum 8 ft blade on that truck,even better with a v-plow.