1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at these two...any pointers?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rampking, Oct 10, 2011.

1. rampking

rampking Junior Member

Hey everyone,
    I am just recently joined I've spent the past 2-3 months reading and am still reading a boat load of stuff on here. I recently purchased a new to me Cat Backhoe (420D IT) I plan on doing some snow clearing this year and have a few lots already signed on but I need to pick up a truck, blade and salter. I am trying to keep the cost down obviously
    So anyhow I am trying to stay with Chev product. These are two that I am looking at right now, Anything I should be aware of in these models?
    What are some things I should look for?
    Thanks a bunch

and the 2nd

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd be concerned starting out with only one truck and having 170,000 miles on the clock. If you're going to create a name for yourself and grow, you need to be reliable. These guys that run multiple trucks can take a few chances as they have backups. If it were me, I would be looking for a good 2500 HD with relatively low miles and put a good plow on it. It will be more up front, but you wont be bankrupt this spring with no customers and a bad name because you couldnt finish the year because of failed equipment.

As for the two trucks, there is very little info on the second and I would run from the third. If you're just looking for trouble spots, check the frame in back of the a-arms for cracks, check the front end for loose parts (especially the idler and pitman arms), check for properly functioning 4wd, check for rust (especially the rocker panels), look for general leaks (look under and check the tailshaft seal and transfer case closely), and anything else you would look for in used equipment.
  3. Squires

Squires Senior Member

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

The first is a mexican truck (chrome), as for the second you'd be better off buying a used truck that hasn't been used for plowing.
  5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

That really depends on the truck.

I purchased a 2000 ccsb that had been a plow truck all it's life. I have owned it 3 years, and it's still an awesome plow truck.

Call about the first truck in your post OP, is it in Miles or KMs. because both are listed and thats quite a difference.

I like the Chevy 6.0L gassers, I own 4 of them.
  6. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

look at the same stuff as with any used vehicle: leaks, rust, noises, all that stuff. As far as Chevy 2500 with a 6.0 specifics, the fan clutch, tranny and power steering lines leaking, brake lines being soft right at the distribution block, wheel speed sensors (ABS light might not be on, but the ABS might go off just a little here and there under normal braking), those are the big things. I'd be leery of the truck that already has a plow. Not only are you taking the chance on the 11 year old truck that you have to assume has been a plow truck its whole life, you're also throwing in taking a chance with an 11 year old plow. Don't get me wrong, Chevy makes the best truck out there IMO, but if its your only truck I'd really look for something newer and less miles.