1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at the 6.4 f350's

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by x.system, Mar 12, 2011.

1. x.system

x.system Senior Member

We're looking to pick up a 08 or newer F350 with the 6.4, any major issues to look for?

2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

A few of the early 08's had some issues but not many. I would look for a 09 or 10 to be safe. We have two and love them. They are even better if you tune/delete the dpf.
    Robert

3. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Take Rob's advice and look for a '09 or '10. If you are looking at a '08 check the frame below the rad to see if it's wet or stained. I worked on half a dozen '08s with the 6.4 diesel that went through rads like crazy. Some trucks had 2 or 3 replaced under warranty from Ford. You can see the part of the frame from looking in the fenderwells.

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't buy an 08 I had an early 08 and it was nothing but issues, ended up getting Ford to buy it back as a lemon after awhile with it

5. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

It was pretty much the early 08's that had the problems, i think the build date was beginning of 07- 6/07 anything after that ford had worked the major problems out.

6. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

Ive been told that the EGR cooling towers leak on them. Best way to make em dependable is an EGR and DPF delete. Then a custom programed chip due to the dpf being gone.