1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at new/used truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blksheep, Mar 1, 2010.

1. blksheep

blksheep Junior Member

Hello all,

I am looking at a used 1996 K3500 Chevrolet truck. It has dual rear wheels, a 8 foot mason dump Vortec 5.7L, automatic transmission and it is a 4X4. It comes with a meyers plow that has two small cracks in it and an insert in the dump for salt/sand spreader. It only has 41,000 miles on it. I looked at it and other than some minor surface rust it looks great. It needs a new front bumper from it rusting inside-out. The seller wants 11,900 for it. What are anyones opionions on it?

2. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

12g's for a 96 seems high. Every area is different. Might be a good $$ in NJ. I'm seeing 1999-2000 with 50 to 80K for same $$ around here.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If the truck is in very good condition, it might be worth that. Nice low miles. Good engine/transmission. You want to inspect the frame very carefully. Particularly behind the upper control arm brackets (rear bracket). And right behind the cab. These frames sometimes crack there. The engines often need intake manifold gaskets, and the original injectors can be problematic. Just some talking points to help get the price down. How are the tires?

What size/model plow, and what brand insert for the back?