1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at new plows Which one is better

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chemtech, Oct 31, 2004.

1. chemtech

chemtech Junior Member

I've looked at lots of plows the last few weeks. I've always used Western 7'6" plows but lookin to change now.

Boss- Like hook up and features as well as the controller Kinda heavy but not really (8'2" V plow)

Western- Nice hook up and controller REAL heavy new plow 8'

Blizzard- love the flex between 8'-10' with flip of switch but super heavy nice mounting

The only thing I prefer with the Boss vendor is when snow falls there open 24/7 till the end of storm and no service calls.

Which plow do you guys prefer. I'm in Missouri (kansas City region) with 2000 Ford F250HD 4X4 Crewcab.

Email me if you like also at allseasonlawn1@sbcglobal.net

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I love my Boss... :nod:

3. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

We got 4 inches today....Used my Boss for the first time and LOVE It... :redbounce.. Quality piece of equiment.

4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Boss is a great plow and the 24/7 vendor could make the difference if you have problems.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

One thing to keep ion mind is how the plow trips. I have never used a boss V-plow, but I hear that if they are in the V or scoop position the trip is very hard, if it even trips at all :eek:. I guess boss uses a Full moldboard trip even on there V-plows, where others use a trip edge.

6. The Boss

Boss now makes trip edge plows, both straight and V.

7. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I'm curious to see how the new Meyer plows work out. I know nobody likes Meyer, but their new ones look pretty decent.

8. The Boss

There's actually quite a few guys here who run Meyer plows. Everybody is entitled to their own preference of equipment. :nod: :waving:

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

First year for the new Meyers. I would sure wait till they work the bugs out. last time they made a major change it took 2 years to get it right. and it still aint perfict, maybe that is why they had to change it again.

10. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

The new Meyers look pretty good with all those new electronics. It is like a little computer. I was looking elsewhere to buy a new plow for next winter, but maybe I'll keep looking at Meyer and hopefully they'll work the bugs out soon. I was looking into Blizzards, but they seem pretty heavy.

11. Plowbie

Plowbie Member

Dwan, do you mind elaborating on what may or may not still be working correctly on the previous Meyer setup? I'm still looking for my truck but was starting to lean towards the ST-7.5 w/the EZ-Mount Plus which was the last setup that came out before this latest EZ-Mount Xpress.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  12. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Plowbie,
    The problems I am still having may not affect you with the smaller plows. I will try to get some pictures of the mounts ware they connect to the ford frames and also the loop which attaches to the truck frame and post them or e-mail them direct to you today if I get a chance.
    By changing to the Diamond mount on the truck corrects one of the stress points which the weld fails after about 2 months use. the other failing point is a crack is formed on the top of the loop ware it connects to the truck mount. this can still be corrected but it seems Meyers was unwilling to try to solve it with the old frame for 10 years.

13. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I wouldn't stress so much on the type of plow but rather the dealer. A dealer who can perform service work on the spot and have you up and running before the end of the storm will go alot further than how convenient your plow is to take on/off the truck.

14. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

chemtech,
    Like you I have always run 7.5' westerns & I like the plows a lot. I am in the same predicament as you, what to buy next. I like the new Blizzard plows because of the versatile options. I like the Boss V plow because of the hitch system & weight. The new meyer plow has a great looking set up as far as the hitch system goes, that brushguard is cool. Which way do you turn?? Where I plow the closest dealer for any of the brands is about 75 minutes away in good weather. I have found a guy that stocks parts for Boss Western & Meyers who lives about 35 minutes away in good weather, also he is real cheap on parts. I think that all modern plows are good, so as far as I am concerned the decision will come down to dealer service. This is just my opinion. BOAST

15. SnowMizer

SnowMizer Junior Member

I dont own a Boss, but if I were to buy a new one it would be a Boss.

16. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Yeah...I agree....I was tossed between Western and Boss and I didn't feel my Western dealer would be too supportive "after" the sale...All Plows you mentioned would work well for you but good service after the sale should be at the top of your list. :nod:

17. I just can't sit back and not say something for the Fisher's :drinkup: . I have a 8.5 v-plow and love it :redbounce . If your truck can handle it, I would seriously look into the advantages of a v-plow, there's no better way to plow!!!!!

My .02
    Midwest

18. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Quoted by The Boss:
    " Boss now makes trip edge plows, both straight and V."

Hey is this new for 2005 because I have yet to see a trip-edge Boss V-plow. That's why I like the Western better because it's a trip-edge. Otherwsie I'd go with the Boss Poly V-plow if it had a trip edge option. But another good thing about Western is that I have a dealer about 20 minutes away that is open 24 hours when the snow falls so part availability is very accessable to me too. But I definietly liek the Boss Stright blades. They have a very nice mounting sysem and light package.

19. Polar

Polar Junior Member
    from Albany

Boss is the best

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

BOSS does NOT make a V plow with a tripedge.

Once your used to a non tripping V plow, it's really not that bad.

Their build, design/strength, speed, warranty all are over and above most other plows.

With a V plow, your truck can push a larger blade through DEEP snow, where a straight blade will have you spinning.