1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking at new older trucks

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CJP, Feb 22, 2002.

1. CJP

CJP Junior Member
    from VT

I have an 88 k2500 w/350 four speed manual. I am very happy with it, but in the near future am looking to get something a bit newer. I would be using it for minimal plowing, a bit of hauling, but mostly towing a 6k lb trailer. (on long trips, about 400 miles at a time) I really want to stick with a 3/4 ton truck and was wondering if you all had any comments on what I should look for. I would like to stay with a chevy and spend under 10k. Mostly I guess I would like advice on what year, engine, tranny I should be looking for.I am very mechanically inclined and do most work myself, but I just need something that I know will make it on a trip. Thanks again.
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

In my opinoin (lots will disagree :) ) I'd say go for a 1993 3/4 ton with the 6.5 turbo diesel and a 5 speed manual. In 94 they went to an electronic injector pump, and 93 had the mechanical one. You'll save good money on the mileage, and if you're only plowing a little the stick would be fine. Buy the truck, then go to www.thedieselpage.com and get a membership. Get the manuals, wrench away when you need to. Alright guys, be gentle....