1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at new F250/350 5.4L - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by scottL, Sep 4, 2006.

1. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I'm starting to look at new trucks. I currently own a Chevy k3500 and am more familar with Chevy in general. With the low financing and good deals on the Fords they caught my eye. However a few people were telling me of issues with thier hubs, brakes and head gaskets. Is it true that if a head gasket goes the motor is junk? Each motor is a special one off because of their modular design? Wondering if the Ford board here has any insight please,

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Hubs and lack of grease fittings seem to be an issue. Head gaskets don't seem to be a problem other than a few defects from the factory but not common. The modular engine design is just so the motors can share parts as they are the same in many ways.
  3. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

We run an 05 with a 5.4 the truck is awesome! It pushes snow with no problem....We are running an 8'6" Western V Plow on it, truck carries the weight well and plows like an animal! They are powerful trucks, good front suspension they went back to coils! I think it would be an excellent buy

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

M&M what tires do you have on your '05?
  5. tanker6

tanker6 Member
    from CT

The hubs without the grease fittings suck, but it is what it is. They still work. The brakes where a problem when the super duty was first introduced. They where too small for the truck so they got heated up and warped. Found that one out the hard way. If the head gasket goes and you drive the truck for 2 weeks (like a truck at my work) yeah that'll junk the motor but otherwise it won't hurt it. They're not a problem since they stopped using aluuminum heads on cast blocks without the steel gaskets.
  6. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Sent pm...but they are the stock Bf Goodriches 265/70/17 I believe I can find out exactly for you....

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i service 15- f350 5.4l with western plows these trucks have been bullet proof. there used for landscaping in the summer and plowing and loaded with salt in the winter
    im acctually considering buying and f350 myself as soon as my lease on my dodge is up.
    thay also have an 05 f-550 it has grease fittings on the ujoints and balljoints

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Ok ... here's a question from a non-ford owner. On the F250/350's they have locking hubs that you have to manually get out of the truck and turn. There is also a lever or switch on the inside of the truck to engage 4x4. I'm a tad confussed on this. Is it that you lock the hubs to get a true locker hub/axel or is that the only way to engage 4x4? ( I'm guessing when you flip the lever or switch on the inside you get limited slip 4x4 ).

9. sonicblue2003

sonicblue2003 Senior Member

The hubs are auto/manual. They automaticly engage when you shift/switch to 4wd.
    But sometimes it takes a little time for them to engage. therfore if you get yourself into a bind you might have to get out and turn them to get them to lock. I know I've had problems with mine. Also it takes a while to unlock after you switch back. it's somewhat of a pain but the hubs are strong enough to take the abuse. Just need to take them apart and clean them every year. Word of caution... if you are stuck and get out to engage them, don't get back in and hammer the throttle, gently spin the tires until you feel it engage then do what you want. You'll find yourself picking up parts 40 feet from the truck. BOOM.
  10. hillndale

hillndale Member
    from Maine

They do make them with "manual hubs" where you have to get out & switch them, but they're also made without manual hubs. I don't know why they still make the Manual hubs?
    Is one system preferred over the other? I got prices on 2 F250SD's. 1 had manual the other didn't. Don't really follow that?

11. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

I run a 04 F-350 with Blizzard 810 and carry 3000lbs. of salt. the 5.4 motor is a good fit. I would say if you can get the sport seat with the adjustable head rest it would make the ride a lot nicer. As for the hubs if you get the automatic I would still get out and move them around every so often. Its just an option some people still want the stick on the floor a others just want the speed switch.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006