1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking At My First Duramax. Need Opinions.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Dec 27, 2010.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'm in the market for a crew cab truck to pull around my 24' enclosed race car trailer on weekends. It will be a hauling and daily driver truck, but probably never have a plow on it. I found a 2006 2500HD with a Duramax. 139K miles, auto, crew cab, every option, OnStar, looks to be in good shape, etc... What worries me a little is it has a Banks chip, bigger injectors, and a full exhaust system on it. I know Fords don't like chips, but should I mbe worried on a Duramax?:rolleyes: I'd probably chip it anyway, but just want to make sure. What should I look for? Dow do you guys like your Duramax's when towing about 9,000 lbs? I have owned a 6.0 gas, but never a Duramax. He wants to trade for my '99 F350 custom truck and some cash on my end totalling probably around $18500.

2. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Its got the lbz which is the most favored of the duramaxs. Its also got the 6 speed trans which is always a plus. I have a Banks on my truck. I have had it on for over a year. do I like it.....no but its alright for someone with a stock trans and not wanting to tear things up. It isnt the best tuner for milage. I wouldnt be worried about the truck as long as it checks out good. tight steering, good shift, no leaks stuff like that. I would ask him if he has limped the trans at all but if he has he probably wont tell you he did lol. as for the aftermarket injectors why were they installed? Any warrantty on them? How much over stock? Who makes them? Did he do any work to the CP3 to make up for the extra fuel? Does it have a lift pump on it? Might want to look at dieselplace.com for some other info on it. Good luck. I love my dmax but it was a babied truck when I got it
  3. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

as for towing. Mine walks circles around my buddies cummins. We both hauled pulling trucks to the same spot with almost the same trailers and I was walking all over him and getting better milage. Plus I was riding in comfort lol

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Dieselplace is the place to go to check out info on these trucks. The guys on there know there stuff.
  5. BlackBirdWS.6

BlackBirdWS.6 Member

I would say go to DuramaxDiesels or DuramaxForum, instead.
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The fact that it has bigger injectors and a Banks chip to me says "this guy doesn't know what he is doing and is just doing what he thinks will help it"
    That would worry me. I'd expect to see Efi Live when using bigger injectors, but the bigger injectors don't do much good without alot of other supporting mods to make the truck have full benefit of them.

And Fords like tuning but not chips. Chips is the old school way of doing things. Computer tuning is where it's at now. For your 7.3 a DP Tuner from Jody would really wake it up.
  7. DeereFarmer

If I ever did an tuning to my Ford, the DP Tuner would be the only thing I would consider. I just went with a 38R turbo, injectors, intake, straight pipe, and a bunch of other things instead. I don't want to do much more to it before a BTS tranny goes in there.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'll check out the diesel sites as well, but feel free to post more opinions here as well. Never can get too much info or too many opinions.
  8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

At least for my area the price is kind of high... but overall they are great trucks! I had 2 in the past both were chipped without any issues
  9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Paid 20K for mine with 38 k miles on it. 2 years ago. Mine is an 04.5.In mint shape and It still is.
  10. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Mark is right. Chip's are like using a typewriter to send an e-mail. They are old news and the computer programing is so advanced, you can customize it to work for what you need it to do, not just one of the 5 setting that the chip company "thinks" that you could use.

I tune my trucks with EFI live as if they are not hooked to a plow, they are hooked to a skiddy trailer, or an enclosed job trailer, or a gravity wagon.

That is the best part of a Duramax. You can tune a Duramax motor to your use. If you want it to get great milage... tune it for that, quick drag racing times... tune it for that, able to pull a house around town... tune it for that. It is like having the best equipment for every job that you go to.
  11. DeereFarmer

Yeah I would like to put an EFI Live in it for sure. I just wanted to make sure the Banks didn't do any harm to it.
  12. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

How much bigger injectors?

He should know....
  13. DeereFarmer

I'm going to give him a call later tonight. I have a list of questions I want to ask him.