1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at installing a brine setup on my Kubota RTV

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stevejfromRI, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Does anyone have any information on setting up a sidewalk spray system for a Kubota RTV? We are thinking about going with brine pre-treatment on our sidewalks (we currently treat several miles of sidewalk with salt), and this seems to be our best option. We are also looking to have a way to treat stairs, etc. with the same rig. I don't see much info around on this, am i barking up the wrong tree?

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Check SnowEx and TurboTurf is a good one as well.

3. Thanks, im going to check out the Snow Ex tomorrow.

Do you use brine on sidewalks now? and if so how does it work compared with bulk salt.

4. Mark Oomkes

I did in the past, kind of gave up on it. If there was an easier way of switching from a spreader to a sprayer and back, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Never used bulk salt on walks, always bagged. Just like any liquids, it works great but has some limitations. Freezing rain being the biggest.

5. Its a tough one, but might be worth a shot.. bagged and bulk has always worked for me in the past. A few issues are that the stuff that gets tracked in to the buildings is hell on the hardwoods and carpets. A new issue we are having is a new lot with permeable paving.. not supposed to use salt on it from what im told.

6. Mark Oomkes

So what are you supposed to use?

7. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

8. I will check cabelas out as well, it looks like i have alot more research to do when it comes to the brine mixes though.

-Mark, I was told we needed to use a eco safe icemelt product on the paving.

9. Mark Oomkes

LOL, that's what they always say, but in reality, they don't know what they're asking for.

Sodium acetate, potassium acetate and CMA are aboot your only real choices.

Whatever you do with a sprayer, make sure you get something with "high" volume, low pressure, otherwise you will be disappointed. Raindrop nozzles work best for sidewalks.

https://www.dultmeier.com/products/0.811.1731.4224/3138

10. I have run into this in the past, usually price ends up dictating what we use on the ground.