1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at getting into the biz-truck advice needed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forgop, Dec 5, 2004.

1. forgop

forgop Junior Member

What would be the lowest end price-wise a guy could get started for with a truck that could be used to haul a trailer for lawn equipment during the summer? I know there's tons of variables, but I'll have to start out with as small of a capital expenditure to get started and once I build some accounts, then I'll go out and get something bigger/newer. Any particular makes/models that would be worthwhile pursuing?

2. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

You get what you pay for. I bought an 86 f150 v8 for 1500 then put 3000 into it so i could use it for my company. Like you i started out without very much money. Looking back i woudl tell you to get least a 250 or 2500 dodge, chevy, or ford. Your looking about 4000$ minimum. Remember yoru going to be putting lots of weight in the bed, probably going to be plowing with it etc etc etc. Upgrading later will not happen for a couple years. what ever you do dont buy anything smaller than a 150.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

A full size 3/4 ton 4wd truck. Everyone has their own preferences on makes. A fleet owned truck can be gotten at good prices usually. I would not get one that has a plow on it as it has probably been used hard.... A used plow can save you a lot of money if it is in good shape, and the best time to buy a used plow is spring time when people are getting out of the business....

4. osbo68

osbo68 Member

I would look for a Ford F350. Something in the early '90's. Do your self a favor and be sure to get the F350 If you get a ford in those yrs. they have a straight axle and you will not have to put as much into the truck to have a excellent plow rig for a good price. I prefer a manual trans over a auto. If something goes it is usually the clutch. they only run $150-$200 if you do it yourself. A good auto tranny rebuild can easily cost over $2000. You will not have to worry about tranny heat problems also. And if it's for work save on the power windows and doors. They are not neccesary and will just cause extra stress on the charging system when plowing. You could also check out a GMC or Chev in the '87 or older yrs. Go with a 3/4 or 1 ton. they are designed to haul the weight. Happy Hunting
    :gunsfiring: