1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at Ford 550 with 6.4 diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TAZPUSHER, Jul 11, 2008.

1. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Can any one give me the scoop on the 6.4 diesel, I've heard nothing but bad about it.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My buddy has one and it's been a great truck and he works it pretty hard. It's a little hard on fuel but most of the new ones are.

3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

not to scare you, but i know a guy whos got one with only 8k miles on it and its been in twice for tranny work.

4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

At work ours have been into the dealer several times for warrenty work. They do run good with nice power though (when they are running right).

5. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I'm starting to read alot of bad press on the 6.4 also, and this is on the "pro-Ford" websites. So, I'm eager to see what happens over the next few months and year or so.

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

we have a 450 and 550 with the 6.4 so far the only two complaints are horrible fuel economy (5-6mpg) and on the 550, the drain water seperater light comes on all the time (yes we do drain it) other than that we got a full winter plowing and salting with it and no trips to the dealer.

7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldnt buy one until 09 just so they can work any kinks out and if youdont want to wait buy a leftover/low mile 07 550 w/ the 6.0... my boss dealer has an 08 f-350 w dump on it and they run a 10' power v and had no problems with it beside low fuel economy due to emissions bs... they did use the 6.0 motr just because they wanted to break the 08 in and get a feel for the reliability of it.

8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Not to mention, but I think they're already planning on a 6.7 to replace it in 2010. But I could be mistaken.

9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

thats mainly because ford and navistar are going seperate ways... fords going to have an in house diesel for the super duty and one or 1/2 tons... i cant wait to see what they come out with :bluebounc

10. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

also 2010 is another emmision change year for diesels so there will be other motors changing except for cummins as they passed the 2010 emisons already

11. TAZPUSHER

TAZPUSHER Junior Member

Thanks for the input, I have a couple 350 dumps with V10s, I like them so far, don't know if Ford puts V10s in 450s, Does anyboby know?

12. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

yes they do as well as the550

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

So there wont be any changes to the 6.7 cummins in 2010? Yeah they put the V10 in new F450s and 550s

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Let Ford work the bugs out. Wait till next year, or buy a GMC in the meantime. I am all Fords for pickups but would buy a GMC 5500 over an F-550 every day of the week.