1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at buying used truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dieselgeek, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Hey guys, ran a search but didn't find much.

Here's the deal, found a 2000 f350 reg cab, powerstroke, 59,000 miles on it, 6spd manual, for 19k. Wondering what to look for if I go take a look. This will be my first ford superduty, drive them daily, but don't know what to look for. Also this price seems to compare well with others I have seen.

I plan to start up landscape/plow business. I don't want people telling me that I won't want the 6spd, as you aren't going to change my viewpoints on manual transmissions. Truck will be used for daily commute, towing trailer/plowing, and some good old off-roading.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. What to look for...
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I'll be the first to say you don't want a manual trans :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

Things to look for are many. At that mileage PSD's are going to start to show a little wear and tear on the small bolt on parts like the fuel pump, glow plug relay, tentioner pully, etc. The first thing I would do is find out what has been done to the truck repairs wise and go from there.
  3. texdiesel

texdiesel Junior Member
    from texas

I agree with plow meister, I have a 2000 F350 crew cab that I purchased in 2001 with 38000 miles on it. I paid 23g's for it so as far as price goes I think your getting a pretty fair deal. If you look in kelly blue book depending on what frills come with the ride you should be in the ball park. Any way getting back to the topic, I made sure that the service schedule was true and accurate and I have continued to service my truck on a regular basis. I know have 90000 miles and the only thing that I have had to replace is the batteries. Mine is also a manual six speed and I wouldnt have it any other way. All of my buddies that have the auto tranny are getting anywhere between 11 and 14 mpg's while I maintain a steady 19 mpg and it doesnt seem to matter if I am highway driving or city driving. :drinkup:
  4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

You can also get a carfax report on the truck. Inquire about the SCA levels in the coolant, and test th coolant. Check to see if the engine has been dusted. If it has you can bet Ford will void all engine warranties.