1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at buying an 87 F250 for Plowing

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 86 CJ, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I did some plowing with my Jeep CJ last last year, mostly residential and some small commercial stuff and it did great, but looking to get into a larger setup and do more commercial this year, so I am selling the new Jeep setup I bought last season.

I am not looking to spend much, just want something solid for pushing snow that i can work on myself and that will be reliable.

I found a 1987 F250 with a 6.9 Diesel and 4spd Man Trans(180K Miles), Upgraded Banks system, New front end with all new parts, New clutch, Injectors,electric lift pump, new brakes, radiator, axle, battery's, Solid Frame, small rust on quarter panels, runs solid and the guy plowed with it last year and said it did great. It has its little issues like guages not working, but runs great and the the guy put a lot of $$ into it to get it ready for last winter.

He was a diesel mechanic, so he took good care of the engine. He is asking $2500...

Is this a good truck for plowing with a 7.5 blade??
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

WAY too much money for that truck....you need at least an 8' blade on an f250
    plowing with a clutch sucks
  3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like it may be a money pit.
  4. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

The truck runs Great , he plowed with it and made a ton of $$ last storm, which was in February . It includes the 7.5' Meyers plow. I don't see how its such a bad deal???

Anymore Input??

I have been plowing with a clutch my whole life, including the centerforce in my Jeep, so not a big deal to me, and saves Trannies....
  5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the front axle on that truck is a dana 50 TTB (twin traction beam). it is an IFS setup. i plowed with one for years and had no problems, but many people have had issues with that axle housing cracking.

i started off with a manual too, then went to an auto. i will never plow with a manual again. but if manual is all you know, then it shouldn't be an issue.

and 7.5 foot plow is too small. 8 to 8.5 is what you want.

sounds like a lot of work was done so it may be a good deal. hard to put a value on it with no pictures - and even then you really need to inspect and drive it. but if its well maintained with a good body and frame, $2500 doesn't seem like a bad deal.
  6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

there is no problem with that truck if you take it easy. the weak link is the TTB D50 front end. the 7.5 foot plow will work fine, but an 8 foot plow will be better as long as the snow is not deep and wet.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Used one why back when new a big rust bucket with parts breaking off it.
    You sure sound like Stanz from Ghostbusters talking about the new vehicle he bought!
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I started out with a 94 F150 heavy half ton and a 7.5ftMyers poly plow. Every one said too old, its gonna break,bla,bla,bla. During its first year plowing only commercial, it out lasted a newer F250 a Dodge and a 1/2 ton Chevy, I was the only guy left out of our crew who was up and running. I did put some money into it over the next couple years but it sounds like he took decent care of it and fixed what needed fixed. For 2500 bucks dont expect it to be problem free but even if you plowed a couple months with it, it should make you back your investment and then some. I cant speak about the front axle but Ive seen brand new trucks in the shop after plowing. Try it, take it easy until you can afford or want to move into something newer. Good luck
  9. MBB

MBB Senior Member

had a 87 6.9 350 auto, 9ft fisher good rig, sent down the road when it started acting like a inch worm when pushing a load
  10. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks for the input guys, I ma still looking around for an older, solid plow truck to push commercially with that is under $4K