1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking at buying a used gmc or chevy what is best to use for an 8' plow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by snowman91, Aug 31, 2007.

1. looking to buy a used truck within the next year and would like to use an 8' plow preferably fisher, boss, or western. what is a good truck to use? gas or diesel? what size engine?

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have an idea on what you want for a truck?

If you want an 8 foot plow you will want to look for a 3/4 ton,

3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

You'll def need a 3/4 ton for an 8 footer. As for gas/diesel, the only way I'd put an 8' on a diesel is if the FAWR is 4800lbs. The gas engine weighs about 650lb less than the diesel and your front end will last a lot longer, but the diesel has a bunch more low-end torque and the allison tranny will hold up a lot longer. Make sure the truck has the plow prep package because its getting harder to find dealers that will put a plow on a truck without it.

That's my very condensed 2 cents on that topic...

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

I think there is more tune up cost and initial cost with a diesel, I just wouldn't put the money in that direction unless I wanted the toy or had a real need for the torque.

5.7L or 6.0L either way you'll be fine. 3/4 ton at minimum and make sure it has the over size fan clutch and transmission cooler.

As for plow..... that's like asking what religion to follow. They all have something of interest. I went sno-way for 10 years and never had a problem, great plow. However, I switched to a v-plow and western for this coming season. Western had better features, speed, etc ( even though I have a few issues with the quality of the workmanship on the frame and lift height I'm working through ).

5. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

If you have sales/service for Fisher in your area, you'll find they are fantastic plows. 8' straight, 8.5' V, stainless steel... many options for a 3/4 ton pickup. Good luck!

~Kevin

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, I put a lot of research and thought into buying a new truck just for plowing snow last year and decided on a Chevy (it came down to between that and GMC), 3/4 ton, Regular cab (to keep down the weight) and 6.0. Finding one on sale made me buy a year before I was really ready, but hard to pass up $10,000 off sticker.

I'd always said a person would be nuts to buy a brand new truck for plowing snow, but I was real tired of buying other people's problems. Toward the end of the last one, I was putting out as much every month in repairs as the payment on the new one.