1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking at buying a complete used 7.6 unimount and need help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bizzo15, Jan 26, 2011.

1. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Guys I'm looking at buying a completed used western unimount for my '91 Chevy half ton but I don't know a whole lot about these plows and was wondering what I should look for when buying a used plow. Also how hard are these unimounts to install yourself? My dad and I are pretty mechanical but have never installed a plow before. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I just bought a used 7.6 pro unimount plow with mount and wiring for my f250.... I would check the cutting edge and trip springs as far as the blade goes and for the pump and motor its hard to check anything if the unit is not on a vehicle and you can't see it function. I would however look at the angle rams and see if there is any sign of fluid leaking, same with the lift pump. Check and see in what condition all of the lines are, i.e frayed, split, cut. Look at all of the wiring if it comes with it and make sure the relays are not corroded and the wires again are not cut. Other than that make sure you can't kick a hole in it because it is so rusty...

As far as installing... I and two buddies were able to put the mount on my f250 in a few hours. It would have taken maybe 2 if we actually knew what we were doing ha. you need two people because the frames are heavy and a third person helps to tilt or push things when needed. Again this was on an older F250 though, things could be different for your chevy...

Good luck.

3. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Thanks. The plow is still on the vehicle so I can actually check if it works. He's looking to get $1000 for it. If its in good shape is that a decent price for these plows? Did you have to drill any holes in your frame for the mount?

4. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

1000 is fair if its in good shape. Mount is tge hardest part. Wiring is a piece of cake. I recently bought the same set up for a half ton for 650. All it needs is a paint job. Also if you get hung up on the mount there is a guy on ebay that fabricates them for around 300 and they are stout and really easy to install.

5. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

yeah I'm obviously going to try and talk him down in price so that way if something is wrong with the plow or happens to it i'll have some extra spending money. Is there any common issues with these plows i should be on the lookout for (i.e. cracked a frames, etc.)? Also when you say that mount is the hardest part are you talking about the install of the mount or actually finding a mount that fits your truck? Also is there anywhere I can order a new hardware kit or should I go piece it together at the hardware store?

6. jsc824

jsc824 Member
    from N.H.

mount is hard to install, at least I thought so, beacuse it was heavy and awkward. Not bad if you have a helper.

7. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

yeah i've been looking at install instruction on the western site. Looks like it's going to be a PITA to get all new hardware for the mount and I don't want to use the old rusty hardware to mount the mount. I'll definitely have a few people helping me install the mount if I decide to do it myself. I may just end up having someone else install it if I end up buying it.

8. Watkins

Watkins Member

With my experience operating the unimount the essential and crucial items you need to have on hand in your truck is this.

2-3 of the 45 degree elbows with swivels male/female ends on same piece.

2 xtra hydro lines for the turn cylinders for good measure ( the can break from time to time under extreme odd plow terrain ) mainly residential.

There is an issue with the poppet valve springs, they have been known to break and when this happens you will have a problem turning as the valve is not fully engaged.

Do not slam the unimount into piles and hit the bump stops on a regular basis as the a-frame is not heavy built stock from the factory and you can bend it upward easily, when that happens your cylinder's can be stressed and they even break at the welds if you continue to slam piles up stacking the snow over 4-5 feet.

Make sure all your connections are coated with a protective coating and clean and shiny when connected.

The plow side wires run about 250 and the truck side wiring harness costs about the same, don't be surprised to buy a new one every 7-8 years as these wear out and you lose control power and choppy operation in turning but if you keep then clean and dry it extends their life as I have had some last as much as 10 years.

The uni-mounts are not commercial duty plows but work well with pro-wings in smaller parking lots.

I have bent the uni-mounts and destroyed them and learned when I was young to treat them gently.

You want to upgrade your alternator to at least 160 amps and run 2 batteries with at least 130 minutes of reserve capacity, deep cycle batteries are good and can be found at 210 minutes of reserve capacity with 800-900 amps.

Good luck with it.

9. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

Very good info watkins, I appreciate it. If I install it on my truck before the end of the season do you think I could get away with just one battery and the stock alternator for now. I would definitely do the necessary upgrades in the spring time (i.e. dual batteries, big 3 upgrade, high amp alternator) I just don't have the time or resources to upgrade the electrical right at the moment.

10. bizzo15

bizzo15 Senior Member

So I went and looked at the plow today. The blade is pretty rusty but solid with no holes in it. He ran it for me and it moved side to side pretty quick and up and down no problem. The angle cylinders were recently replaced and look new still. I tried some things suggested in another thread to check on the pivot bolt but I couldn't really tell and it was dark so I'm going to have to look that over again. The cutting edge also has a good amount of wear left in it. One negative I did see is that the top part of the blade on the driver's side is bent like they hit something with it or something fell on it. It's not horrible but definitely bent I"ll try to post a pic to see what you guys think. All in all though it seems like a solid plow. The only other thing is the light harness is for the sealed beams and I have the composite ones. I don't see a way to make the existing harness work with my lights so if I get it i'll be on the look out for the right harness. It's also looking like I"ll need to get a hardware kit to mount the plow to my truck. Is there somewhere online that sells both of these items. Also I was looking at western's website for install instructions and I can't figure out how to tell which mount the truck has looks like there's a choice between the 1545 and the 1585 install instructions. What's the difference? Lastly what are some good talking points to use to get the guy down on price, I want to have some wiggle room for unexpected costs associated with the plow.