1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at an 8ft Minute Mount

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by JoeBob1901, Dec 20, 2007.

1. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Junior Member
    from Kansas

I was referred to this site so I figured I'd ask a few questions. I'm looking at an 8ft minute mount plow that was on a truck that was taken in on a trade-in at a local truck shop. The local truck shop's daughter is my neighbor, and I talked to him about a used plow. I can get it for way under 1000$ installed, said he'd include wiring it up, controller, everything. Seems like a decent deal and i wouldn't even have to mess with it.

Here's some pics, what do you think about the deal? And, any suggestions/comments/hints?

More pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hydrolics didn't look too rusty or pitted or anything? Blade wasn't extremely rusty but has some flaking. Would probably need a hydrolic fluid change?

It would be going on an '95 C350 PSD Auto 4x4. It's a 4-door bronco, basically an F350 with a Powerstroke and a bronco butt. It has 4.10s as well. I would be using it primarily for my rural property, my neighbors, and maybe looking into picking up a couple rural jobs but probably nothing residential, seems to be a bit of liability, risk, and hassle to weasel around a big truck, maybe a bobcat would be better suited!

How hard would it be to remove the actual MOUNTS in the summer, to keep the truck looking cleaner? it looked like there was a number of bolt holes going into the frame though, anyone have pictures of the MOUNT sticking out of an OBS ford? I don't really want it to be obtrusive...

Thanks!

2. karol

karol Senior Member

plow

If you want to stay friends with you're neighbour I would look somewhere else. Drop another $1000 and get something that's in a little better shape. Pick up some extra work and it will pay for it's self. It's not hard to do. At the end you get a better plow and you keep you're neighbour.

3. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Junior Member
    from Kansas

What's in bad shape about it? just the paint condition? I honestly haven't seen many plows around here for less than 2500ish, plus install or installing it yourself..to be quite honest i can get it for roughly 700 installed with controller....good/bad?

4. nickv13412

nickv13412 Senior Member

700 installed is a great deal, even if it needs a little work JMO

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I would grab that in an instant even for 1k installed. It is steel and all I see is some paint work.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I'd take it with the caveat that the seller agrees that the plow is in full working order at the time of delivery...make sure that you can move it up, down, left and right fully and repeatedly before you're all done. After that you should never mention the deal to your neighbor except ina positive light, too much risk of ruining a good neighbor.

You will want to change all the fluid and I would try to get the blade snadblasted and painted before you use it too much. The snow will stick to that rust like mad and you'll wind up with a extra quarter ton of ice hanging off the front end of your truck. Even if you do what I did which was to smooth out the rust and cover it with a can of yellow sparypaint its still better than what you've got there. But the rust is just external, doesn't look too bad to me...again, with the caveat that it works 100%.

7. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Junior Member
    from Kansas

Yeah, he said that it'd be working 100%, and I figured a fluid change wouldn't be a bad idea. I wouldn't pay if it wasn't completely operational with a controller in the cab, that was the deal. I'm still tossing it around..my only concern is my truck is my DD, and I don't want an unsightly bracket hanging off, anyone have a pic of the MM bracket mounted on a truck?

8. karol

karol Senior Member

plow

I'm not beating up you're deal. From past experience i just will not sell or buy things from friends,family,neighbours. If something goes wrong a week later you're going to have a problem. Everybody does business in different ways. If you think it's a good gig go ahead and buy it. Just think of the future you might like plowing and you certainly might want to get into a little more so buy right now or pay later.

I would certainly do a fluid change on it with a fisher or western hydraulic fluid and spray some parts with fluid film and you should be good to go. Good luck.

9. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I say it's a fantastic opportunity for you. Sometime down the road, consider replacing the hydraulic pistons, the hoses, and the pump. Get it all sandblasted, primed, and painted this year & it will look like a million bucks. I'll bet that you could even have someone completely restore it FOR you (if you're not handy) for less than half the cost of a brand new one. I encourage you to go for this. Please keep us posted on what you do!

10. JoeBob1901

JoeBob1901 Junior Member
    from Kansas

I'm handy enough, but no sandblaster or anything, could always hire it out tho, know a few people. Any pics perhaps of JUST mounts mounted on a truck? Really don't want it looking gawdy without the plow :gunsfiring: