1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at an 87 F250 For Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 86 CJ, Aug 24, 2010.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I did some plowing with my Jeep CJ last last year, mostly residential and some small commercial stuff and it did great, but looking to get into a larger setup and do more commercial this year, so I am selling the new Jeep setup I bought last season.

I am not looking to spend much, just want something solid for pushing snow that i can work on myself and that will be reliable.

I found a 1987 F250 with a 6.9 Diesel and 4spd Man Trans(180K Miles), Upgraded Banks system, New front end with all new parts, New clutch, Injectors,electric lift pump, new brakes, radiator, axle, battery's, Solid Frame, small rust on quarter panels, runs solid and the guy plowed with it last year and said it did great. It has its little issues like guages not working, but runs great and the the guy put a lot of $$ into it to get it ready for last winter.

He was a diesel mechanic, so he took good care of the engine. He is asking $2500...

Is this a good truck for plowing with a 7.5 blade??

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i had a 6.9l engine on a older ford a long time ago, i hated it, slow, underpowered, and didn't pull worth sh!t. IMO you would be better off with your jeep.

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be better off with the jeep, I had a 6.9l 4 speed and also didn't like it.

Bossman

4. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

6.9 is a good motor. For what it is.

My dad had an 85 f-350 with a 6.9. It had no balls and was slow as hell. But it never let him down. It had over 200k when he sold it.

5. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

those engine are known for going over 500k miles and some claim over a mil with just doin head gaskets and inj. pumps. I had a 93 f250 auto with 8ft meyer aand it did good, pushed really really good was just hard to start when it was really cold and i forgot to plug it in.

6. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

ttb front end is junk to plow with. Slow as can be and gutless usually pretty reliable though. O and idi hates cold starts.

7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

BTW got any pics?? If you dont buy this i might.