1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a used salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by EPM, Sep 6, 2011.

1. EPM

EPM Member

Up until this year i ran bagged salt and tailgate spreaders. This year I'm switching to a v box spreader and bulk.Ive been searching all over for a decent used unit and haven't came up with much on my limited budget.
    That said, I'm supposed to take a look at a 5-6 year old western tomorrow. Can anyone give me some insight on what to look for on this unit? I have very limited experience with v box spreaders. I was told its sat for a year now so I'm sure i wont be able to get it running. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. gman2310

gman2310 Senior Member

In all honesty, i would buy a new one. By the time and money you spend fixing stupid little things you are gonna wish u just bought new. I have bought 2 used westerns for around 1500 each. Never seem to run good and always had to replace drag chains and bearings. Then they started to rust. I ended up buying new ones from angelos and dont have any problems

3. EPM

EPM Member

With everything i've looked at so far that's kind of the area I'm starting to lean to. I'm still hoping something comes along barely used for a steal, but as the season gets closer I'm starting to see that it isn't going to happen. Any recommendations on something to purchase to get the most bang for my buck?

4. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I agree on the new idea. They always have some issues and in the middle of the night in the cold when your already behind is whn your going to find that issue.
    Angelos has saltdogg poly spreaders for a good price.

5. kuhndogg

kuhndogg Junior Member

I got a very nice Snoway that I'm selling. I'm very maticulus and care about my equipment. Lets face it: it makes our money right? Very nice 8' SS v box. Electric. Very quiet. Its 4 years old and i have never had to put any money into it except maintainence. $2900