1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a Super Duty!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Clint S, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Looking to upgrade and I found an 05 250 with 77k for 13900 at my local dealer. Is this an OK price? Are there anythings I need to look out for on these. It is a southern truck and look new underneath. The trailer hitch looks like nothing has ever been inside it.
    Do all these Superdutys have a plow prep package on them. Give me the good, bad and ugly on these as I have had Chevy's all my life.
    How long do these things last is 77k to much to start out with. This will be a second vehicle for me. I will only drive it to work during bad weather or if my car is down, my last truck I averaged about 6k a year. Other than that I will be plowing the driveway and getting in some wood.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

Fair price. My boss paid 14k for my 05 250 with the 5.4. What motor's in it? If it's the 5.4 with the 3.73 gear stay far away from it but if it's got the 4.3 then do it. Also, test drive it. Make sure there's no vibration from 45mph on up. As far as the snow plow prep goes you'd have to have a dealer run the vin to find that out. All it is is beefier springs in the front. Another thing, my fuel mileage averages between 7.5 to 10.

3. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

If its a gas motor it will be a dog!!! If its a PSD go for it.

4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

To see if it has plow prep just look in the manual/original window sticker. Also the plow prepped fords have the 5200lb front axle. 77k isnt bad, not awesome but not bad at all... The price seems fair also. Test drive it and take it to a mechanic and get thier opinion on it.

5. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Do tell why to stay away from this combo just wondering?? It is a 5.4 with 3.73. Mileage is not a concern as it is a second vehicle.

6. Kunker

Kunker Member

3.73s would give you better milage, but you'd have less power at the wheels, and you need that torque to move the snow.

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

4 wheel low should move anything. those 5.4 Triton are doggs. we have one in our expedition and all it does is make noise. my 5.7 Chevy with 310,000 rounds walked on it! as a second vehicle wouldn't mind though!

8. plowman01fishin

plowman01fishin Junior Member

I just sold my 99 f350 with a 8ft meyer and i could keep up with it with a s/10 truck.....go f250 350 rides like a brick...suggest going to diesel i am...mike truck got 6-8 with the plow on the front...
    just wait until you have to dump money in the front end wheel bearings fail and ford lockout failed at 110,000 new ones pricey.....stay away mike...yes it had the 5.4 with a kand n air filter and a flowmaster exhaust ....mike

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

My V-10 works just fine and ALOT less money then a diesel.

10. plowman01fishin

plowman01fishin Junior Member

thats great i never had a v-10 lots of gm products and that was my last 5.4 liter ford....next time i either go big block gas or power stroke....4 of my buddys in the lansing area have bought strokes and 2 over 280,000 miles and other 2 over 180,000 without a major failure....wow i can't belive how good they hold up...95 p stroke f350,97 p-strofe f350 99 pstroke f250 and 02 pstroke f350....

11. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

Get this. I go up to take the truck for a test drive and I get a mile from the dealer and the thing starts knocking, sounded like a diesel before I made it back. I walk in and the salesman says. "Why are you back so soon". I say " I thought that thing was a gas engine, because either that thing is a diesel or it is about to throw a rod" His face turned white as a ghost. Sure enough the pulled it into the shop and before they shut it off it let loose. Dodged a bullet on that one.