1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking at a newer chevy truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mass1589, Apr 4, 2013.

1. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

well im looking at getting a newer chevy truck. i found a truck my brother and I are thinking of trading our 2000 K3500 rclb 5.7l for a 2003 chevy 2500hd rclb newer truck has 107k 6.0l gas. looks like it has been taken pretty good care of. the rear of the bed has a dent in it but we would probably be getting a flatbed for it anyways.

my question is with this many miles what do you guys think do i still have some run time out of this motor?? its not a daily driver sooo it wont see alot of use....its more of a spare truck when the work is needed....

2. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I bought the truck in my signature in 08 with 100k on it. It has 170k now. It is my plow truck, tows my dump trailer in the summer and is my daily driver. I plan on either getting 3 more winters out of it or roughly 80k miles more. I'm driving more these days. I do regular maintenance but nothing out of the ordinary other than rockers and cab corners just last week.

So yeah...She's got some life left in her!

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Do some reading on those 6.0's. 99% of what you see will indicate that engine life concerns with proper maintenance and care on a 6.0 are nonexistent. 100k to one that was properly maintained shouldn't be of the slightest worry.

4. mass1589

mass1589 Senior Member
    from mass

Yes.... Im thinking i should be fine with 107k miles. Ive been reading alot tonight online and everyone says 5.3l and 6.0l engines and drivetrains are strong setups preventative maintence is usual. Im just wondering how the original owner treated her. The interior is spotless! The outside has some dents and dings and one major dent over the 4x4 sticker. Tires look descent but definitly highway setups not good for snow

5. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

107K's isn't bad. I have 140K on my 03 2500HD with the 6.0. Plows snow and I run it hard.

Mine has the 4L80E tranny, when properly looked after they can last a long time.

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

6L are excellent motors, I have 4 of them. 3 have more miles than the one you list. Transfer case pump rub / replace tcase is the only major thing we have done to our 03

7. SNOWANDICEMAN

SNOWANDICEMAN Senior Member

Was it a plow truck??