1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a New (to me) Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rob62381, Dec 21, 2008.

Tags:
  1. rob62381

rob62381 Junior Member

Hey Guys,

Going tomorrow to look at a 7.5' Hiniker plow. It is a complete set-up off of a 1993 f150, includes lights, wiring, control, and vehicle mount. It will be going on my 1998 F150. The asking price is $500. Do you guys think it's a good deal? The plow is only 4 or 5 years old according to seller and everything works as it should. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh that sound like an ok deal. see what it looks like when you look at it. Just use your judgement and see if there is anything terribly wrong with it, like bent parts or rust holes

3. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

sounds like the exact plow my plowin partner plows with. It's a good plow, goes up & down slower than most but who cares 2 seconds slower its not a race, he paid like $2900 installed 4 years ago. Thats an excellent price for a unimount or a any good working plow. You should be able to make some money with it next year.

4. rob62381

rob62381 Junior Member

Thanks for the quick responses! I have a few other questions. Will the vehicle mount fit my truck, or can I modify it to fit? I just dont want to have to spend a ton on the specific mount buying it new. Also, how do you think my truck will plow? I am only looking at doing a few driveways and a parking lot or 2. Any advice?

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

unless your a good welder, you may have to get new mounts and I pretty sure you may need to get new wiring, but ure getting the plow at a great price. The truck is kinda small, but if you take it slow you'll be fine, plow with the storm and don;t push it beyong its limits, Get plenty of balast and beef up your front end.

6. rob62381

rob62381 Junior Member

Well I can pretty much fix anything on this truck, am good with electrical and hydraulic stuff, and can weld, and have a welder available. I also have an experienced welder (25+ yrs) if needed, I guess i was just wondering if it would be possible with a little work. As far as wiring, how much wiring is needed on the truck side? (i.e. what wires do i have to tie into on the truck)

Thanks again.

7. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Do you have a Dealer near by?

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I am more familiar with the fisher wiring system. It is basically just a series of cables with plugged ends that you connect to hte corect area, and vert very wires that need to be spliced. Call your dealer and they'll give you the rundown.

9. rob62381

rob62381 Junior Member

I do have a dealer less than 3 miles from home. What would a reasonable rate be to install it for me? Would it be cheaper if i had them install the vehicle mount and I took care of the wiring and actually hooking up the blade? Just trying to be as economical as I can, and would like to make back as much of the money i have invested in the next few months doing sub work. Just dont want to throw a ton of money at it at this point.

10. rob62381

rob62381 Junior Member

OK so I went and looked at the plow today... I have some more questions. First, is it as simple as installing the vehicle mount and wiring and then just attaching the blade, or am i missing something? I went with a friend of mine who is an experienced welder/fabricator and he is concerned that it will not fit. I say that I just need the proper vehicle mount for my truck (1998 F150 XLT Ext Cab) and the blade will fit right on there. What do you guys think? Again, it is a 7.5' Hiniker that comes with everything, plow, vehicle mount for a '93 f150, wiring, controller, the whole 9 yards. I just don't want to buy it only to find out i cant get it on my truck. I called Hiniker directly and am currently waiting for a call back from them but in the meantime i wanted o see what you guys thought, or what you guys would do in my situation. Thanks and sorry for the long post.