1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a Gehl skid steer, any opinions?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by buckwheat_la, Feb 1, 2011.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I am in the market for a skid steer, and I have enjoyed Case skidsteers in the past, but talking to a friend today, and he suggested Gehl as a possiblity. Checked with the dealer here in town, I can get into a slightly used (150 hrs) Gehl, 90hp, 8000lb machine, 2 speed, loaded for $26000 Canadian. This is a great price, and so far reading reviews online, seems to be a really good skidsteer, yet you don't see a lot of them around, so does anyone use them? Any opinions?

2. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

We have (3) Gehls at our site...a 4625, 5635sx and a CTL70. The two tire machines have been really reliable...but the CTL70 always seems to have fueling issues. I know another guy that has one and had same problems. The deciding factor for me would be how close the dealership is for you for parts.

3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

i have done snow removal with a gehl 5640 for 3 years as well as grading and masonry and it is a great machine. i have only ran a few other skid steers like older mustangs and bobcats but i like the gehl the best

4. GabrielFarms

GabrielFarms Junior Member

Sounds like a great deal! The 6640 are very nice machines, and I really like the the Gehl t-bar controls. I have a 6635 now and plan to upgrade to a 6640 2-speed before next season. I priced a new one last week and almost had a heart attack! 6640E 2-speed was $47,700 set-up the way I wanted it, the dealer wanted 36,000 to trade. I think for that kind of money I will but a 3-4 year old machine and keep my old one as a back-up. After having a Gehl I dont think you could give me anything else.