1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a 94 Dodge. WHATS IT WORTH?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Makndust, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

O.K., so who can tell me a little about Dodges? I have an 87 Chevy with a 9'2" Boss poly V that I plow with now. I'm looking in an auto trader magazine yesterday and spot this 1994 Dodge Ram 2500. It is Regular Cab, Long wheel base, V10, Automatic tranny, SLT, 4X4. They want 2917.00 Cash. It looks like a nice pickup in the pic. I called, they said that it has a few scratches, but no body damage. The kicker is that it has 212,000. miles. They rebuilt the front end so that is a plus. I plan to use it to sand with and for a BACKUP plow truck when my 87 takes a dump on me. I'm going to have the mount and wireing put in for my boss plow. I have no experience with dodges so lets have it all, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Thanks guys

2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

not to discourage you but thats a lot of miles for a gasser. maybe if you knew how it was taking care of. plus do you really want something that is going to get very poor gas mileage when prices are where they are. just something to consider.

3. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 95 2500 with the v10. My truck has almost 170,000 miles on it and still runs strong. the trans has been done once so far and i see it needing done again after this year.The v 10 will last a long time of taken care of. its a heavy duty engine not just a standard duty.That sounds like a good price if it runs good.

4. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I'm accustomed to the crappy milage. I run a 454 in my 87 chevy 3/4 ton to plow snow with. It likes its fuel so much that when I switch tanks, it stalls for a split second. I am concerned about the tranny. I was told that the tranny wansn't the weak link but the tourqe converter was. If you put in an aftermarket tourqe converter, you could hold the tranny just fine. All I want to use this truck for is sanding and backup plowing. I guess we'll see how it runs today.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

BNC noticed you didn't say anything about MPG. the v10 may very well be a great motor but you are still talking over 200,000 miles by someone he dont know or how it was cared for. so he very likely is gettng into something he really is going to need to sink a small fortune into to make worth it. or he may very well get lucky. but i quess if he's a mechanic he could fix it up nice. but then if he was a mechanic he wouldn't need our advice on good deal or not. jmo

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

good luck you were posting why i was writing so missed it. guess if you don't mind spending more than necessary on fuel more power to you. i just feel with the way fuel prices are going it might be more prudent to find something with a smaller motor.

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

The Dodge V10's get roughly the same mileage as the V8's.

8. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I find that hard to beleive. but i dont own one so cant say.

9. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you've ever had a 5.2/5.9 it's not hard to believe, my 5.2 Dakota only got about 13-14 MPG in the city.

10. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

It depends how you want to average it out, my v10 gets about the same MPG pulling a trailer ast it does empty. a v8 will get good MPG empty and a lot less pulling a trailer and doing work.

11. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Thanks guys! learned something new today.

12. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I passed on the Dodge yesterday. It had a very Hard 212000 miles on it. You could tell that the last owner hadn't bothered to keep up the little things the last 100000 miles of it's life. Horn, heater, power locks, ABS, Brakes and etc., etc., didn't work. It lookes to me like something that a rancher in our country might want to go out and feed cows with but that is about it. It did seem to be ok as far as the powertrain was concerned but who knows? I wish that I could look inside that tranny and transfer case.
    Thanks for the info guys

13. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

to bad it didn't work out for you. but the good news is it showed how bad it was then to look **** an span only to be a nightmare in disguise. thats why i felt with the mileage you just can never tell. I will say whatever you do decide to get bring it to your mechanic first to give it a complete check up. better to spend money before than to buy something that is going to cost a fortune in the future.

14. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

ive read alot about the #7 cylinder goin bad in the v10s... check into it

15. lumps

lumps Senior Member

i'll have to agree about the mileage... i know a guy who has a ram with the v10, i've got the 360 v8 in mine, and i def. get better mileage. actually, i get better mileage than i did with my 318 dakota...