1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a 3500 Dually, need opinions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JohnsonLawn, Feb 7, 2008.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Mileage is too high for me but it looks like a clean truck. What do you plan on using it for? 265,000 miles is getting up there. Sure the Cummins is a great motor but the rest of the truck is getting tired, JMO ;)

I understand the price is tempting but the mileage...
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

With that kind of milage do you really want to buy it? The motor will last but what about the rest of the truck, transmission, front end etc... I would try finding something with say 100,000 less miles on it personally!
  4. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Yeah it is a bit high on the mileage, but the rest of the truck looks clean. I will probably hold off and keep looking. I really do not need another 1 ton, so I will keep looking for a 3/4 ton with the cummings. It will be used to pull a mowing trailer and to plow in the winter. Thanks
  5. NBI Lawn

It will be easier to find one with a CUMMINS :p
  6. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

Whoops on the G
  7. NBI Lawn

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I would not buy over 180K miles- as long as the frame & sheet metal are ok the tranny can be fixed reasonably. you're looking at some cash investment there, but not too bad.
    100K miles is a bit light- you won't find any cummins powered dodges under 3 years old with less than 100K! Those who bought them drive them, and usually alot.

If you have a good foundation, even that high milage could be ok- figure tranny rebuild (and beef up), front axle (wheel bearings replacement or upgrade), track bar upgrade, break lines, tranny coolent lines. Engine is good for well over 400K.
  9. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

another thing to think about is the duallys. have u plowed with one b4? I personally think the extra tire width would get in the way when backing and plowing into tight spaces, but some guys also swear by them!

MOUNTAIN MOVER Junior Member

Mileage is to high for the money, Jasper Re-man tranny installed is 4000+, front end will cost you around 2200 for total rebuild. I plow with a dually and I LOVE it.
  11. TEX

TEX Senior Member

for the price-IF- it was taken care of you could put in another $5-6K and have a great truck for $15K sure its got some mines on it but a new trans and what ever else and your rollin. for less than 1/2 of a new one.
  12. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

I bought my 98 2500 Cummins with 186000 on it....Now it has alittle over Two Hundred and The thing is MINT. Steering is Excellent. I choose to do a Aftermarket valve body and TC. NO problems at all !

and Justme : I bought my 2002 3500 Cummins last April with 36k on it! One owner truck Just used it to tow a 20' bass boat. Truck is still bone stock.

I don't think there's anything wrong with buying a truck with that milage especially a Cummins as long as it has gone through a good check-up.
  13. Stark_Enterprises

Jasper Trannies are *****!!!!!!!! And More than likely the whole front end dose not have to be rebuilt if it has never been plowed with. I'd say of you like it Buy it..I would!

JohnsonLawn If you want some positive opinions Check out : http://www.newenglandturbodieselpower.com/Forums/index.php
  14. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

15. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah but wouldnt driving you new truck back be fun?
  16. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

I plow with the truck below now.
  17. NBI Lawn

I know, I want it but just dont have a use for it. Its the right color and the mileage is low.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

To me milage doesn't mean much as the condition of the interior. A truck that is trashed in the inside has done lots of work and hauling. When they are neat and clean inside the mechanicial side of the truck will match. I've seen trucks with 50 000km which are trashed inside and out and in worse shape than ones with 400 000km. It depends on who owned or operated them.

19. KTM

KTM Junior Member

I disagree with the above, my father always maintains his trucks never beats them but, he is kind of a pig when it comes to the interior and, when he gets a scratch or a ding in the exterior he just does not care. On the other hand I have a buddy who buys a new truck every year, his trucks are always clean and look like new when he trades them in but, he beats the hell out of them, then to top it off he waits way to long in between services. He always says I will be trading it in in a few months anyways. He always says I wonder who is going to end up with my old truck. I always think of him when I go look at used trucks.
  20. Stark_Enterprises