1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking at a 2007 Chevy 4500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CTerrySGD, Nov 4, 2011.

1. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Can anyone give me some advice on what to look for when buying a used 2007 Chevy 4500 4x4 with the 8.1L gas motor?

If it was a Ford, I'd be able to tell you what motor, transmission ect to watch out for but I haven't kept up on Chevy's.

This is a Crew cab with a flat bed. I'm planning on putting a 9.5' Fisher vplow and a 4.0 yard vbox on the flatbed.

Any thoughts? Doing large commercial lots and retail centers.

Thanks! oh... 86,000 miles on the gasser.

Chris

2. Schnabel Plowin

Schnabel Plowin Senior Member

The 8.1 is a very reliable engine, but drinks the gas. Similar to a ford v10, I would guess. But you can't find a better tranny than the Allison.

3. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

my 5.3 is a monster i bet that 8.1 is just kills things! but hes right that allison... you cant beat....... perfect truck.... CUMMINS WITH THE ALLISON

4. Schnabel Plowin

Duramax with the Allison! An lly or lmm can hang with a cummins all day. :)

5. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

8.1 motor is great but get ready to start putting some big fuel in it. You might get 10mpg.... I have a 2007 4500 with the diesel and I love it and hope they start to make them again soon. I was told from a friend that works for GM and he has heard that they are talking about making them again in 2014... Can only hope...

6. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

drove the 4500 the other day. lost a couple fillings on the highway without a load at 65-70.

not that you're buying the truck for its ride, but it was night and day between the 4500 ride and the F550 i drove right afterwards. I'm leaning towards the 550 b/c its not quite as big and i think will still push the same large plow and salter spreader with a more comfortable ride.

7. Schnabel Plowin

Which year ford?

8. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

2008 6.4l 4x4 - 165" wheelbase regular cab

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I didn't think Chevy offered the 8.1 after 2001, Unless it was in their bigger trucks only.

Regardless, if it's an 8.1, I love mine. There really isn't much difference in fuel economy between a Diesel and a Gasser in bigger Cab and Chassis Trucks. From everyone locally I talked to, it's only a 2 mpg difference on average, and with the cost of diesel, it comes out to about the same amount of money you would be spending on fuel.

The 8.1, in my eyes, is a much better motor than the V-10. The 8.1 was originally designed as a Marine/industrial motor, so if boaters can depend on it's longevity, then it should do great in a truck.

I also like mine over a diesel as the repairs are way cheaper. I can find a drop in crate motor for the cost of rebuilding a turbo on a diesel.