1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a 2004 F-250 Diesel...

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by exmark1, Feb 4, 2010.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at a 2004 F-250 Ext Cab, Short Bed, XLT, 6.0 Diesel, Auto Trans. Very Clean Truck with 115,000 miles on it. It has the FX4 package, new tires, line x bed liner etc...

What is a fair price to pay for something like this?

They are asking $15,900 (I think that was what I was told)
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Depending on oasis report, seems OK.
  3. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I'd beat em down a little maybe 13k. Be careful with the 04. Could be a can of worms
  4. exmark1

That's what I am scared of...How does a person tell? Is there anything to look out for on a truck like this?
  5. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

The truck your referring to must be the one located at Lenz trucks.
    It looks like a nice truck.Good Luck
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Oasis report...Get one. If it has head gasket probs, or egr problems I would pass.

I have that exact same truck and I really enjoy working out of it.

I payed 15,500 for mine when all the trucks were going for super cheap in 2008 with a new hiniker plow mounted on it.

But seriously...you need the Oasis report..It's the nationwide dealers warranty mechanics report for anything that was done to the truck during it's warranty period...That will tell you if it's a lemon or not.

7. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

The 6.0 is very problematic in 03 & 04. EGR, head gaskets, and injector issues are very very common.

Get it cheap enough to install new aftermarket head studs, and an egr delete and you might be ok. Sorry. Just wanted you to know about some of it s issues.
  8. exmark1

Do you know what the costs are to do those things to it? I have never owned a 6.0 Liter...
  9. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Way more than I would spend. $2K for studs installed. Not sure about the rest. I have 7.3's for a good reason! wesport

There is a reason you pay more for a early 2003 PSD with a 7.3 than an 03.5, 04.,05.
    They are really not a truck people are actively looking for. (anything with a Sick.0 )

10. exmark1

Ya the more I read on them the less interested I am... It seemed like a good price and such for the truck with the miles on it
  11. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Funny thing about those six point oh-no's. We've got three in the fleet. One's an '03, then there's two 06's. One of the 06's has been absolutley flawless for almost 80,000 miles. The other '06 has had some pretty weird issues out on the road, but always straightens itself out. Then there's the '03 - where words fail me. It's a miserable piece of crap that's been nothing but trouble since we bought it used.
  12. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Yah, the 03 and 04 are complete pieces of sh!t. The 05 and 06 werent too bad, most issues were addressed. I would avoid an early sick-o at all cost.
  13. silvercity

silvercity Senior Member

Go to answer.com you can get a oasis report for like 8 bucks.
  14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I got the same truck and only problem with it was injectors which was partialy my fault for not plugging it it nor putting anti gel in
  15. excelland

excelland Junior Member

i would try to get a 2006 6.0PSD by then they fixed most of the problems that the 2004 had

the one thing that they did not fix would be the torque to yield head studs.

they would blow head gaskets if you drove them really really hard.

to fix this you have to pull the motor out or pull the cab of the truck off (prob a lil easer)
    and replace with ARP head studs

Stock torque to yield head studs 85 lbft tq

ARP head studs 265 lbft tq

It was a poor 3 or 4 stud per cyl design vs. the 5 or 6 (cant remember) on the bullet proof 7.3PSD

the 6.0PSD motor has a bad rep because it was rushed into production to keep up with the duramax since then ford has spent hundreds of thousands, if not millions getting the 6.0 right.

they only reason they dont use it now is because it does not comply with the zero emissions diesel laws
  16. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Another reason why the 6.0 was less than succesful was design. The fuel sustem, i.e injctors and EGR was designed in Europe to European fuel standards. Needless to say, their fuel standards in Germany varies greatly from the US.

That poor 6.0 was doomed from the get-go.
  17. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

some early some new 6.0s had problems. But if you got a good running one its as good as a 7.3. And for someone to get a 7.3 now, thats a 7 year old truck already. Id rather have a truck payment than maintance payments.
  18. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

the problem with the 6.0s is that its a crap shoot, where as the 7.3s were nearly bullet proof when they were retired.

We had 24 6.0 vans at my previous job, and almost every one of them was a headache, I felt bad for my mechanics dealing with those crap cans.

As for the truck payment vs maintenance payments, when the snows flying I would much rather be pushing snow in my 7.3 that I spent a bit on in maintenance, instead of watching it snow out my window with my truck sitting at the dealer looking like this