1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at a 05 f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by hillbillydeluxe, Feb 24, 2010.

1. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

Looking at a 2005 f250 with a 8ft western. Single cab 68,000 miles, The only issue is the truck has been plowing in a heavy snow area ( Chardon, Ohio). Should i stay away? Because who knows what goober was plowing and how he was treating the truck? When i go take a look at it.... WHAT are some things to look for? u joints? ball joints? bearings?... or just wait to get a used truck with no pow and add a new one. i know this has been covered before prolly. Sorry. Thanks for any advice.

2. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Might get more responses if you tell us what it has for a motor in it...........
  3. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

It has the v8.... 5.4
  4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

check the u joints, ball joints etc. Though I would say that looking at the plow would give you the best indicator of truck condition. If the plow looks beat, assume the truck is as well. Ive seen a lot of trucks with that kind of mileage with near pristine blades on them because the owner just used it for his driveway, or own business.

My friends father has a 3 year old blade, I think its been used 3 times. Ive driven by in a storm before and seen the blade actually hooked to the truck, and he was snow blowing in front of it
  5. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I totally agree with him. I've been looking at used trucks for about 2 months now and have seen a lot. If the bade is in good shape, then the rest of the truck usually is as well. If the blade looks beat to death, the truck usually follows.

If I were to buy a truck with a blade- for the test drive remove the plow and see if you feel lots of play in the steering. Hit a few pot holes/bumps to see if there are any pop's up front/back. Listen/feel for the tranny shifting. Don't be afraid to rev it up wide open throttle to see if the tranny still holds well- check for smoke in the rear view. When you get back to the dealer, pop the hood and check ALL fluids. Smell the tranny fluid. Check brake lines, exhaust manifolds, frame rails, undercarriage of the body. Check tire wear.

If all checks out ok, then buy it. If your worried, get an extended warranty.