1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at 99 2500 - what to look for?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by plowman555, Jul 17, 2010.

1. plowman555

plowman555 Junior Member
    from USA

I'm looking to buy a used late 90's GMC 2500. This will be my first GMC, so I'm not sure what common problems I should be aware of?

What's the Chevy equivalent of a Dodge power steering pump or transmission?
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What motor, trans, etc? With a few more details about it and maybe a picture or two we'd be able to help you out a lot more.
  3. plowman555

plowman555 Junior Member
    from USA

I'm looking for something with a 350, Auto trans. I'm looking at multiple trucks, all late 90's. What tends to break or go wrong with these trucks? I've seen a few with new intake manifold gaskets. Is this a common problem? How would I tell if it's leaking?
  4. Pierce Man

Pierce Man Junior Member

I have a 99 GMC 2500 crew cab that I bought brand new and now has 179,000 miles on it. Has 350 and auto trans. It has a boss 7'6'' poly plow and this year I have replaced the following:

Intake Manifold gasket - replace with aftermarket much better
    Oil cooler lines
    Blower motor
    pads, rotors, and drums in the rear
    multiple sensors
    fuel pump
    water pump
    4x4 components
    Tune-Up and changed all fluids

In ten years all I ever did was oil change and tires, so I put some money in it and it runs great now...The only problem I have is now when I sit at a light it will idle up and pulse like it wants to take off, no idea what that could be.
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Those trucks are pretty bullet proof. Idler/pitman maybe. Aside from that, they run "forever".
  6. TheBossMan2000

TheBossMan2000 Junior Member

I've had a couple that have had nothing wrong except rust. Everything always ran great. Have a 2000 now but old body style. The 90's chevy's and GMC's seem to be some of the most durable trucks ive seen.