1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at 96 F350 with a 460?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by green frog, Oct 11, 2009.

1. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Ok guys who plows with a 460 motor and how bad is it?
  2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

drove one once in a 350 dump, yum-yum eat em up power, but also yum-yum eat-em-up thirsty. You'll be fine in the power department.
  3. Case580M

Case580M Senior Member

I would say one of the best engines you could possibly use.

Hint: Remove the silencer from intake hoses for an instant 25hp & 25lb ft. It will get you 1+mpg too.

The 7.5L will have power to spare and last forever
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Had one in an f-350, was awesome power wise, but you could watch the gas gauge go down as you drove........
  5. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck with tons of power. Plan to fill the fuel tank daily.
  6. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

I can only imagine how bad a 460 is. My 351 chugs it pretty good.
  7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i can't speak from experience, but others have said that a 351 in the same truck with the same drivetrain and the same driver is only a difference of 1-2 mpg's. so if your 351 gets 11 mpg, your 460 may get 9. but that means a 460 drinks nearly 20% more than a 351.

so either way, the old body style fords were gas hogs, but i still love them....
  8. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i had a 98 f 450 hooklift truck and could not drive by a gas station.!!!!!! lots of power but plan to add a good chunck to your bids for increased fuel consumption. i have a 08 f 550 now with a 40 gallon tank and fill it everyother day i once had the truck on the scale at 24 thousand pounds the truck did not complain once!!
  9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

What is this intake mod you speak of??? intake silencer?? 25hp? WTF??

I've got a 93 and a few years ago had a fresh crate engine dropped in it, now it's getting the tranny rebuilt/updated, and transfer case linkage thing fixed....but it's been a beast, never a problem pushing the white stuff. I mounted the turkey wings on the 8' blade i bought for it and it had the snow piled higher than the hood of the truck, it was a wet heavy crap on a long run and first time plowing with wings on a lot that size LOL!! dropped'er into 4LO and the snow kept building up, as well as out, and she just kept on a drive'n like nuthing ever happened:drinkup:

BUT, as mentioned, she's a thirsty girl...but if i wanted a truck that was good on gas and rode like cadillac but was'nt upto the job of REAL work...i'd get a chebbie, so until i get that old, i'll stick with work trucks which unfortuantely are big, powerful, hold up to repeated abuse, and are thirsty since they're a tool built for a purpose...and coddling a soccer dad back and forth to the office aint one of em LMFAO!!!!

10. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

lOVE MINE. Great with power. Its a truck its not diesel its not going to get great fuel mi. i get like 14 on highway and like 10/11 around town
  11. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

What gears are you guys with these 1990's era F250/350's with the 460's running for gearing out back? Mine has 3.42's and the stock 265/75-16 and it's nice for going down the highway...when i first bought the truck i used it to goto chicago to pick up the plow for it, and we averaged 12mpg which i was happy with since that's the typical gas mileage in all my ford trucks, but beings how it's just a back up truck i would'nt mind gearing it down a bit...just curious...4.11, 4.56? what say you?
  12. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

i've got 4;10 gears. i just went to MO a couple weekends ago to pick up a plow. just truck no trailer and i got around 14
  13. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Stock sized tires? or did you go larger than stock? What were you taching crusing around 65-70mph?

Not that i'm too concerned since it's just a winter plow truck and summertime back up, but the gearing it has is pathetic...the truck WANTS to really tow well, but just is'nt geared for it.