1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at 95 CTD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DSLL, Feb 28, 2005.

1. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

My brother and I went to look at a 95 cummins turbo diesel for him today. It has a 149, 500 miles on it and it has some Rust on it. The guy had the thing started when we came because we called ahead. That sort of set off a few red flags in my head.
    I would like to go back to look at it again..but what are the things that I should note and look out for? It has been a work truck, I needs a new rear bumper, the drivers side seat needs to be recovered/replaced and the truck needs a new paint job with in the next 2 years or so.
    It has a 7.5 western unimout on it. He said that it has a new tranny that is one season old, he says it "has a new front end", new front drive shaft and it had a salter on the back so he beefed up the rear springs. He is asking $7,850 and my powerstroke had 166k on it when I bought it for $12,000 and I ended up putting a new torque converter in it with in the first month that I had it. I dont want to go down that road again. Also if anyone can give me a ball park for a price on a paint job that would be great.
    Thanks Derek

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I don't like the sound of that at all, and I'm glad you saw the red flags too.

Anybody who has a vehicle started and running when you show up to look at it in my opinion has something to hide. Although the mileage you gave is nothing for a diesel if it's been properly maintained, it's the other components of the truck that are all showing the wear and tear. That price does seem low too, though I didn't run it on Edmunds or Kelly Blue Book. If you haven't either I'd suggest it.

I don't blame you for not wanting to go down that road again. I'd ask for receipts for the new tranny and the other repairs he's claimed to have recently done. If he backpedals when you ask him with some BS story, I'd be out of there. There are plenty of quality used trucks around, including CTD's. If you take your time and look at several and compare, you can find a better deal I bet. Good luck.

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

If your gut says no, don't let yourself be fooled. Be patient. This is getting past 4x4 season and there are going to be deals out there. I had a 95 I sold 2 years ago with a brand new tranny, but I had the paperwork to show the guy. It was under warranty and had less than 100 miles on the new tranny. That helped me sell it because the auto tranny is the weakest link in the Dodge. I am a big cummins fan, but only with a 5sp. One thing to do is check it out with a mechanic if possible. They can check the fuel pressure to see if it has been tweaked. Some guys increase the pressure to hide engine problems. My buddy gotted ripped off that way. Good luck and be patient, and your ride will come.

4. 96CTD

96CTD Junior Member

i love my truck...diesels are the only way to plow imo!

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Paint can be had for less than $500, rear bumper is normally rusted out on 94 and 95's, as are the doors (look at the bottom inside edge).
    See the reciepts or don;t believe him. Milage is no issue- front end replacement should be easy to tell- look at the tie rods, ball joints, track bar, etc. Check the frame for rust- any truck that has had a sander has rust problems- watch for frame repairs. Check the tranny fliud- has it been freshly changed (might be hiding something) burnt, etc. Check all the fluids in everything (axles, t-case, etc).

Check out Dodgeram.com, dodgeram.org, and TDR (Turbo Diesel Registry) for other Dodge CTD issues. check out the body for rust too.
    Make arraingements to see the truck first thing in the AM and specify it to be cold and unstarted atleast overnight before you get there. If it was plugged in the temp guage will register from idle after a few minutes- if it's really cold it'll idle for 20Min plus with no temp reading.