1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at 3 different truck's to buy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sublime68charge, Jan 11, 2008.

1. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

Hello, all

Still pretty new to the site here.

any way been looking at used Plow trucks in my area. "gotta love Craigslist"
    any way have my wish list down to 3 trucks.
    Use would be for just Residental Driveway's maybe 10-20 drive's.
    at the Moment I have a Honda Foreman with a 60" Moose Plow Tire Chains on all 4, Heated Hand Grips and down pressure on the blade for Backdraging. It has been a tank for over 4 years now snowplowing. Biggest storm was a 15" at the end of last year. Took me 6 hours to get everything Plowed out. I waited till the storm was over to plow though.

I don't wanna get bigger than what I could use the Foreman 4 in a pinch. at the Moment I due 3 drives/walkway's with this machine takes me about 1.5 hours Mine and Both of my Grandma's that includes 30 minutes having to talk to grandma when she catches me shoveling by her door LOL. I spend over half that time doing the walks and clearing the entry steps though
    Also this winter I picked up a 44" Kimpex Snow Blower that will be mounted on the front of my other ATV a Honda Rancher. That could also server as back up to my plowing truck during a major event. once I get it hooked up and working and set how I want.

sorry for rambling on any way the trucks are
    1st is a 1986 Ford Ranger STX 4x4 110,000 miles Manual tranny,
    with a New this year 6.5 Western Plow.
    Good points, New Plow probaly less problems with plow and lower miles on the truck and looks to be in great shape. " I have had a 1987 Ranger STX since 95 and know most the in and outs of these trucks, heck I repowered mine in 03 with a 5.0, and have a rusty but trusty 88 Ranger that backs up the 87 the 5.0 can be testy at times"

easy to get in and out of tight places. also this truck and plow would fit in my heated garage for small repairs. and I could use this as my DD in the summer months the 5.0 in the 87 is just killing me on gas, "Maybe if I left the skinng pedal alone it would be better"
    I work for school district in town "IT guy" and it is nice having smaller truck for going between the different schools during the day.
    Bad Small truck for plow will the D28 front end of this hold up to the weight and stress.
    ok 2nd truck is a
    1989 Ford f250 4x4 with the 300 6, Western 7.5 plow
    Good's Beast of a truck most likley. Simple engine Had a 78f150 in HS with a 300 and 4sp and loved it" and heavy duty Manual Trans
    can use it for a wood hauler also wont hurt it at all
    Bads lots of miles how long has it been a Plow truck? Wont be able to fit truck and plow in garage for repairs. Truck will fit all by itself but not with the plow on.
    Ok 3rd Truck is a
    1979 Ford f150 4x4, Auto with western 7.5 plow
    Good Points. I love the Old style for looks, "heck I have a 78 Ford F150 4x4 also that I want to restore some day 64,000 original Miles"
    Bads how long has it been a Plow truck? Wont be able to fit truck and plow in garage for repairs. Truck will fit all by itself but not with the plow on

so there ya go.
    craigslisting for thought's.

I have also pondered getting an older Western Plow and putting on my 78 f150 351 Auto with a tranny cooler Ford that I currently have. But I don't wanna destroy the truck by plowing snow either and I wonder how well it will hold up. It was my Grandpa's truck and have many fond memories with it and want to some day get it restored to take to car shows and swap meets. Right now all it would need is a new Box and paint job.

anyway I live in a smaller city pop of 4,400 and would only be looking for jobs intown and such as it is during snowstorms around town here you can drive your 4 wheelers all around town for snow removal. Heck on snow days at school I due my driveway's drive the Foreman to school park it in the shop while at work for the day and then drive it home and clean up the end's of the drive's on my way by.

1st Back up plan is use the Atv but I don't wanna get past the point that I can't get all my drives done in a 12 hour window on the ATV if I get stuck with a broken Plow truck. and for a snow fall of 4" I can due the driveway's in about 15 Minutes.
    2nd back up plan Also have bud in town with a 95 F250 with western plow can get him in a pinch also but then will have to pay him for doing the plowing.

so there you go.

sorry for rambling on.

Which truck would you go with and Why.

thanks again
    Sublime out.
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

the '89 F250 for a couple reasons: it's "newer" than the others, which is all relative because it's still a 19 year old truck. That said, it's a heftier truck than many of the things out there today. It's beefier than that F150 from even 10 years earlier. I imagine you're gonna face many fewer issues with the newer, heavier truck when looking to plow.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get a truck with an AT. Using a clutch will kill your leg.
  4. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

It's not a factor of killing our leg, it's killing your clutch! He has driven manual's in the past so he knows what he's in for. Even in the old rangers they were hydraulic clutches. I personally wouldn't a want manual for driveways because of all the creeping along riding the clutch. I think the F-250 is a better choice as well unless you can find a newer ranger. Good luck
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I think that the bigger the truck you can buy the better. The F-250 would be the best, but the F-150 will get you by. I have a Dodge Ram 2500, and I wouldn't want a smaller truck for doing driveways. Most of the time it's overkill, but when you get one of those heavy wet storms, it's nice to know you'll be able to still get them done in time. Good luck to you.

6. BenW455

BenW455 Junior Member
    from WV

Get the f250. 300 6 is not a bad motor, cheep to rebuild.
  7. RipT

RipT Senior Member

I'll put my vote in for the F250 also.
  8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

The F250 is the way to go.
  9. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

The Ranger & F250 are both manual trans. The 79 F150 is an auto which is much better for residentials. That year also still has the solid front axle/coil spring setup which is more stout than the 89 F250 which has the TTB front axle. The F150 is also the least expensive leaving you with more in your pocket for any needed repairs. I had several 78 & 79 Bronco's & F150's, some with plows, they are tanks when you add a little weight in the rear. If it weren't for the bodys rotting off the frames I would have kept 1 or 2 of them. My vote is for the 79 F150!! Keep us posted on your progress & good luck!!
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

The f250 gets my vote. The straight 6 is a great engine. The tranny is that with the granny gear should be good for doing driveways to get you creeping!
  11. wizard15

wizard15 Junior Member

I have a 2006 F-350 turbo diesel with 17,300 miles, a truckcraft aluminum dump insert, 8ft western plow w/ ultra mount and a salt dogg v-box salt spreader for sale. I am not sure what price range you are looking for but this would be a great set-up. Let me know if you might be interested in ths great package. I have pictures I can send over too.
  12. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I would prefer a solid axle over the ttb front end, but you cant kill that 300.We got a 79 work truck thats rusted out from calcium chloride, and the tranys about gone, but she runs like a champ.
  13. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the offer but I am sure your out of my price range, which is looking like 3k or less if even that much.

I am leaning towards just staying with my Quad and plow for now. and just doing 5-6 driveway's with that and being happy about that. Right now I due 3.

sublime out.
  14. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

Ditto on the 300 being a great engine. I know some one with a 95 150 just turned over 300k, factory everything.
  15. lopomon

lopomon Junior Member

thats actually pretty impressive