1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking at 04 Chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by secret_weapon, Feb 22, 2012.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Looking for some quick input, I'm looking at possibly buying a 2004 Chevy 2500HD 8.1L/allison, has about 110k on it. The truck is laid out with every power option, heated leather, rear defog. ect... BUT does not have plow prep option. Can I safely put a plow it?
    The truck has absolutely no rust, What it will be needing is 100k service which has not been done yet, 4 new tires, oil cooler lines, rear pinion seal and rear brakes. Guy selling has not done anything to the truck but wash it and was asking $15k.
  2. buttaluv

buttaluv Member

sounds a bit high to me...that motor/tranny combo is a killer though, I had a 2001 reg. cab, it couldn't be stopped....except by a gas station!
  3. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Price does sound a little high. Is it a crew cab? I had an 01 Crew and although it did not have plow prep (not offered) it handled it fine and I never had any issues. I think you would be fine but I would try to get a better deal on it. Especially if they keep talking about 5.00 gallon gas. These will become easy to come by.
  4. secret_weapon

Oh yea, forgot to mention it is an ext cab short box. I thought that was a little high. I'll try for 12k, if gas prices are supposed to go up like they say, I'm sure he will lower his price when it's still sitting in his driveway.
  5. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

Trucks with that engine and tranny combo are getting harder to find for sale and the ones that I have seen for sale, the prices are about that high. There was one on the local CL about a week ago with 93,000 miles with the 8.1 and allison tranny for around $15,000. Here is the link to the add. http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/2826943352.html

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't spend more then $15,000 if the truck is in excellent condition.
  7. secret_weapon

I don't think GM made very many of those trucks with that eng/trans. Seems like for every 5,000 of the 6.0L they made 1 of the 8.1/alli. There just doesn't seem to be a lot of those trucks out there.
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Plan on putting some money into it, those rear brakes, if you want them done right (with parking brake), will cost you, it's almost a sure bet the levers are frozen. Which means pulling axle shafts, etc. When I had it done is was well over $ 1200 at the dealer, good news they can do the seal when they open the rear diff. With tires & lines I bet your looking at dumping $ 2500 into it :(, that is just what you know about. Then you still have to add a plow. For 12 your probably ok, at 15.... I would price out a new one, don't forget to ask about business choice & rebates (plow). I told my brother the same thing he was looking at truck just like you are, 5 or so years old, 70+ k miles, when he did the math he just bought new.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I give him 9 to 10K for the truck, One it is 9 years old and has 110k miles on it. Plus you have to do alot of work that is going to add up quickly. Go and see him and show him the cash and go from there. 15K if it had a duramax in it but not with the gas guzzling 8.1.
  10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

As stated above, that is a strong engine/trans combo. I know the early 8.1s were known to consume oil (like 3-4qts in a 3-4k mile stretch) and could use more dependent on how hard your working it. In the early 00's when they came out (and I was a tech at a GMC truck dealer) GM tech assist told me that those numbers given above were considered "normal" for a big block.
    Should be a good truck for you as long as you keep an eye on your oil levels, but then again, you should do that with any truck. GOOD LUCK!!
  11. secret_weapon

Offered 12k today. He won't go any lower than 14k... (yet). I can wait, gas is going up. :nod:
  12. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

When I purchased my 03 2500HD, the seller was firm on the price, I told him cost of fuel is still rising each week and it will make it harder to sell. After two weeks of probably no calls, he finally took my offer. Be patient, he'll give in.
  13. secret_weapon

Called him again on the truck. Offered 12k again... He said 13800.
    Still too high and gas prices are going up, no thanks.
  14. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Being an extra cab shortbed it will plow great as they are balanced well. As far as plowing with an Allison tranny, you will never have to worry about blowing a tranny. No other gasser can say that. If you can get it for $13k i would say it is a good deal. If you check around you will find these actually get better gas mileage than the early 6.0 liters and again, you get the Allison.
  15. secret_weapon

Got a new to me 2004 Chevy with a 8.1/Alli! Thumbs Up
    Man this thing is spotless, 110k miles and not a spot of rust on it. Original coating still on the frame. The interior looks brand new, it's gonna be a shame to put a plow on such a nice truck. Haven't had a chance to get pics, my camera broke and cellphone takes crappy pictures but I'll try tomorrow.
    So far I've put a used set of 285's on it, changed fluids, 180 deg. t-stat, new plugs, ecu is currently sent out to Black Bear Performance for a tune, and rear pads/rotors next to get replaced when ecu gets back. Before sending the ecu out I checked the fuel mileage and was getting 12.3mpg. That was hand calculated going through 3/4 tank of gas. Mileage was tracked with gps as the speedo is now off cause of the larger tires
    Just read a post about the problematic pump rub, so that will be taken care of this summer also along with the leaking pinion seal.
    I think cosmetically, the worst thing about this truck is the aluminum rims are corroded on the surface a little, but that's fine, those will be my winter wheels cause I have another set that look brand new that I used on my old truck. When I get pics I'll post them in the picture section.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  16. What did you end up getting it for?
  17. secret_weapon

I kept buggin him for 12k, I know for sure one other person looked at it, but probably offered same as me. Really wanted to sell it so he could get a new diesel. We finally came up with 12,700.

A fair price is when both parties feel like they are getting screwed.
  18. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

I JUST last week bought a 2001 crewcab shortbox 8.1/allison, 139,000 miles, very clean truck, bedliner in bed, on tops of bed, and along the rockers. LT truck fully loaded (no plow prep) and paid $10,044 out the door total. thought it was high but worth it! LOVE the power of the 8.1L!!!
  19. secret_weapon

Well after plowing 2 events with this truck and comparing to my old 1998 Chevy, the power of the 8.1L still unbelievable. Both recent snows that we had were heavy & wet. I remember on the 1998 Chevy with the 5.7 I had to press on the gas quite a bit more in heavy snow and hope I didn't lose momentum. Definitely not the case with the 8.1L, it was begging for more. The best part is that I am using about the same amout of fuel or slightly less and not having to work the truck so hard. I kept records of fuel usage with the 1998 and will continue to do so with this truck and will compare throughout the winter. Every time I fill up I record $/gal., total $ and gallons.
  20. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Glad to see your happy with it. There has been a 2001 RCLB 8.1/Alli with a 8'FisherMM2 for sale about 40 miles from here for a yr now. He wants 9k for it but i know it has done nothing but plow up here its whole life so i am sure it is time for brake lines/fuel lines, fuel sender, and the body is starting to go. Would love to buy it but not being a rust bucket.