1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

looking 4 bagged salt in chicago

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by NorthernSvc's, Dec 30, 2008.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

looking for bagged salt in chicago looking to get a full semi's worth.
    please contact roborr@northernseasonalservices.com
    anyone advice on where to go my suppllier dried up and everyone i call is either dry or not takin new customers.
    any advice would be extremely helpfull thanks!
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I thought you had a truck load coming?
  3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Last year Cargill was still bagging this time of year but they are done for this year
  4. NorthernSvc's

need for sidewalks
  5. NorthernSvc's

plus i use it as a back up and end my season with it ( easier to store bagged products over the summer than tons of extra bulk ) i don't use that much to justify a bin so it sits on a property i do.
  6. NorthernSvc's

JD im second guessing myself on whether or not im getting a good deal, a couple of peaople are sayin i can get it cheaper truck is schedule to depart friday or monady still have not heard back from the new supplier so i still have some time to kill while i search for a possible better deal.
  7. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Not sure what you are paying but at this point in the Chicago market a GOOD DEAL is getting it delivered and in your possession.

The availablitiy of bagged material is decreasing by the truck load. Also not sure who your supplier is but my last conversation with my supplier was the 200 truck loads they had due in from KY were all spoken for a week ago.

The big run on bagged early in the season when people heard the price for bulk is comming back to haunt the suppliers. They turned small customers (2-3 truck loads a season) onto bagged to make a bigger profit on the bagged. Now what are people that actually run there business on bagged going to do when it hits $7, $8, $9 a bag for str8 rock salt?? And, Yes, I do think that is going to be what the market is going to bear in the next couple of weeks. I over stocked on blended product for walk while I could still get it at whatever price.

Let us know how things turn out.

Ron G.
  8. michigan salt

michigan salt Member

I just emailed your order info to you. I appreciate your business. Call me with any questions. Thank you.

Andy L.
    Michigan Salt
  9. NorthernSvc's

hey guys heads up on how things are going,
    talked with a few companies over the past day with same results, either not taking new customers - 3-4 weeks out for a truck, or they are way to pricey.
    i will be going through with my order with michigan salt as they are truly the cheapest and fastest available as i have found yet. although it pains me to pay this much for a pallet of bagged product i fear it is inebidible ( not sure if i spelled that correctly)
    however if anyone knows of a place that is cheaper that i do not have to wait months on end for salt from please let me know so i can reference them in the future ( if needed), the recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

also i will have several pallets available for pickup from my location for 290 cash, i can even load you. ( i can only store so many pallets in the locker at one time!)

thanks to all for your insight thus far!
  10. caf4055

caf4055 Junior Member
    from indiana

rock salt

Regional Turf 574-340-5090
  11. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

$290 a skid! ouch. i can get it for $187.50 a skid in my area. the place i bought it from was $200 a skid, because they are closer and let me store it at their location. the convenience factor was worth the extra $12.50 a skid to me.
  12. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Well that is the point of this thread. Look at it this way; What would you pay if there was a shortage and you could NOT get it?

I am not happy about paying up to $175. a ton for bulk when it started at $49.oo a ton last season. So what are any of us to do when all the suppliers are at aboutthe same price point?

On Bagged soon Home depot, and Lowes are going to the the low price and then too load for contractors BUT what heppn when they run out????

Also have got to love the guys that think just becuase they did not buy in advance that somehow they should get it forthe lowest price possible during the event. As professionals we need to have the material needed to service our clients in advance of not just a single storm but the enitre season.

Ron G.

Ron G.