1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looking 4 advise Deal or not?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by medicboot, Mar 18, 2008.

1. medicboot

medicboot Junior Member

Ive been a Chevy guys for a while (father worked for GM for 44yrs). Im looking for a running around truck because I drive a Durmax diesel. Diesel here is $1.20 more than gas. I was looking at the following truck just to run around in and and possibly plow with next year. here is the description:

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4. It has the 5.9 gas engine with automatic transmission. 237,000 miles. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor, new heater core and new fuel pump all last summer. Truck runs and shifts good. 4X4 works great. It will need front tires soon. There is a couple of dents in the passenger door, and small dings and scratches throughout the truck, but the body is very solid. I used this truck to pull a gooseneck horse trailer, and I have removed the hitch to put in another truck, so there is a 4 inch hole in the center of the bed. Truck has power windows, locks, mirrors, and driver’s seat. Carpets are stained and the driver’s seat has large hole on the edge. It has been a very reliable truck, the only reason I am selling is I replaced it with an extended cab.

Ive seen many pics and there no body rust and only surface rust on the frame. It currently runs and drives fine but the mile scare me. Im not sure how long dodge gas motors last. I talked the guy down to $2500 but want some advise before I pull the trigger. Anything else I should look for?

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you should look for another truck. My buddy is soon to dump his 99 quad cab 2500 4x4 with 110k in good shape for $3500. The truck you are looking at is way over priced. Stay away from it
  3. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

that's too much money.. How about a honda civic, good on gas. You should save enough on gas that you can buy a new truck this fall.
  4. medicboot

medicboot Junior Member

Thanks for the great advise guys. Ill keep looking.

Why would you "run around" in a big block truck if your lookin to save gas money. Get a 4 cyl. S-10 2wd.
  6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Ya that is WAY to much money for what you described! Keep looking
  7. Jbowe

Jbowe Senior Member

Dodge Price

I own 4 dodges. 96 1500, 95 v10 94 1500 and a 2005 1500. I have over 400k on my 96 with a 5.9. The truck gets over 20 miles per gallon on the hyway and the body is in perfect condition. Its still my prefered driver and I drive it daily. All my trucks are equiped with plows and are worked during the winters then used in the summers for construction. I sware by dodges and have never had a problem. I believe milage is just a number and the maintenance the truck has had is what really counts. But as you said the truck has surface rust so that might be a sign to beware. Just my opinion.