1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lookin into a 89 Ford Crewcab AT 460... Anything i should look out for?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by All_Clear, Nov 6, 2005.

1. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Am looking into an 89 Ford crewcab AT 460 2wd (not as a plow rig) Just in general work horse.... Any known problems (other then gas mileage) Anything to really check out?

Thanks for input
    All_Clear

2. MBB

MBB Senior Member

check oil pan real close like to rust out( have to unbolt eng. mounts jack eng. up about 6" or more to remove/replace $500-800 if you have it done), valve cover gaskets( firewall side like to leak). Pretty much the regular stuff after that.

3. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Yeah figured that, it's pretty common on the older fords. My bronco was the same way. Wondered if anyone has had any major problems with the F-350 460 gas motor. Never owned a 460 but have had a few 351. Only real problem that i had was the passenger side exhaust manifold leaked. (Hated the sound of it)

Thanks
    All_Clear

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

drove an 88 f250 with a 460 to plow last year and the only problem we had was the switch between the two fuel tanks went like 3 times

5. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Actually thats a recall item...

Campaign Number: 91V146000 Date: 1991-Sep-04

Component: Fuel System, Gasoline: Storage: Auxillary Tank: Selector Devices

Defect Summary: THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE MAY MALFUNCTION AND CAUSE AN OVERFILL CONDITION IN ONE OF THE FUEL TANKS, RESULTING IN AN OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP.

Consequence Summary: THE OVERFLOW OF FUEL PAST THE FILLER CAP CAUSES A FUELLEAKAGE, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A FIRE WHEN EXPOSED TO A SOURCE OF IGNITION.

Corrective Summary: REPLACE THE DUAL FUEL TANK SELECTOR VALVE.

Found a few other recalls on www.autosite.com

6. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

wow i never knew that...thanks i dont drive for them anymore i have my own company now but i never knew of that site thanks

7. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

check out the rearend, if it's leaking around the front pinion, usually the pinion bearing is worn and takes out the seal. whole rearend has to come apart to fix, so i ususlly put a bearing kit in it while it's apart. overhaul kit on line around $150, labor at shop $150 to $250, hope i helped, pete

8. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Thanks... I Did the trade yesterday... Am very happy. Truck only has 60K miles. Rear isnt leaking at all... Just wanted to know what to watch out for... So i will keep that in mind.

Pictures are here... http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=28408

Thanks
    All_Clear

9. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Yeah, look out for any gas station you pass...you might not make it to the next. Thirsty motor. But as long as you are making money when you drive it and have another vehicle available it would not be too bad.

10. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Oh yeah.... Watch out for the spark plugs... They collect road debris and rust. Then when you try to remove them they snap right off. 5 out of 8 plugs broke on a 460 FI that I had.

11. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Yeah well that Bronco with a 351w only got 12-14mpg on a good day... I'm not to worried about the 460 LoL

Had the same problem in the Bronco with the spark plugs... Ended up having to replace the pass. side head.

Thanks
    All_Clear