1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lookin for opinions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Workin 25/8, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Workin 25/8

Workin 25/8 Junior Member
    from SD

Hey guys, been snooping around plowsite for the last couple weeks and recently became a member. I've been moving snow on the farm for as long as I can remember and plowing commercially for the last 5 years for the Landscape company I work for. In the winter I babysit around 8 guys (equipment and sidewalk crew) as well as keeping 2 subs busy. My pay does't seem in line with some of the numbers I've read and comapred to what I do for this company.

I am no longer with happy with my current situation and started thinking about utilizing our farm equipment that sits pretty idle in the winter. We have a bunch of tractors, a bobcat S185 and JD320, a bigger Cat payloader (can't remember what size off hand) and my dad picked up little Gehl AWS 36 mini loader which is the funnest thing to operate. In the winter most of this stuff just sits around and clears barns, yards and everything around the farms. During a couple big events we rented the Cat and JD to my bosses to stack and load snow piles.

My question is do you think I should venture out on my own pick up some larger accounts to keep this equipment busy in the winter. I have no problem working long hours or being up in the middle of the night since we run 24/7 in the spring and fall. The managers of the apt. complexes we do love how we are there in a moments notice and usually have them done before 6am (depending when the snow falls). Our farming operation makes enough for this equipment to sit in the winter but I see a lot of potential for headaches and profit.

I have a year of college left and actually think I would rather play "Farmer" and "Snowman" and "Mechanic" rather than hunt for an office job in this down economy. Plus, who wants to rot away in some office? I understand the cost of doing business to an exten but am looking for advice of what you guys think I should do or how to outfit this equipment. Thanks in advance.

2. Sal_Moides

Sal_Moides Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

finish school first. then start business. or do both at the same time. just finish school. check into the taxes on the heavy equipment once they are turned commercial (in ohio farm equip. has no sales tax if used on the farm but once its used commercial then responsible for tax). but i do think you are doing right by trying to have idle machines profit for you.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

yes...finish school first and then see what your options are
  4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Agree with the above posters about school. You have a great potential opportunity there with what sounds like the right equipment. Use the rest of your time in school to research your market and the industry. Learn all you can and if it looks like it will work, go for it. And of course, charge enough to make it worthwhile.
  5. Workin 25/8

Workin 25/8 Junior Member
    from SD

Thanks for the replys so far guys, keep them coming. Yeah, I plan on finishing school but am just looking to pursue something that I am passionate about. I have a lot of friends who graduated and now work for credit card companies making just enough money for an apartment, beater car and enough money to pay the electrical bill at the local bar.

I forsee this move allowing me to be real busy 9 months out of the year and slower during the summer when there are more activites I enjoy i.e. motocycles, camping/boating/fishing, softball, etc...

How many of you guys would go back and get a job working for someone else if the opportunity presented itself? I understand the pressures of self employment and having to rely on the weather and current markets to get jobs done and turn a profit. Maybe I should just go on unemployment and wait to win the powerball? Seems that is the norm these days. Keep the responses coming, guys!