1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Lookin at a '97 3500 CTD dually, have questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by musclecarboy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys,
    I have my POS chevy now but I'm looking to get a truck that can handle a real plow. I saw a '97 3500 cummins, auto, dually, 4x2, ext cab with 140k miles (230k km) . I know people that plow with a 2wd dually, so thats not the issue. I've heard front ends and auto trans are the issues with these trucks. What are these Moog parts people talk about? Is it basically ball joints that fail easily or are there other parts?

As for the trans, it has an aftermarket trans temp guage installed so I think the previous owner looked after it. What are the weak points of the trans and what can be done to make it bulletproof (or as close as possible without a full-on new trans)?

The stealership wants 10,900 for it but I think somewhere closer to 9k is fair. I won't be dropping in until Monday or Tuesday because if this intense storm we're having.

Side note: The tires are almost new, interior is mint, almost 0 rust, paint looks good.

Let me know what you guys think:waving:
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

if its 2 wd i think the front end should be fine. As the trans a temp gauge is a start but you still might run into problems. gorend makes a real good trans. Is the cummins all stock? i wouldn't be suprised if it had a different fuel plate in it also. The one thing i would do to the motor is the killer dowel pin fix. I would try to get the dealer down in price especially 2wd. id offer $7500 out the door
  3. musclecarboy

I haven't had any serious discussions with them yet, just a quick "Hi, how ya doin'?" I don't intend to really push this truck, just landscaping in the summer, plowing in the winter. I don't want to make it a "sports truck" like I've seen lots of 12v trucks turned into. Is there a way of knowing which fuel plate was installed (if one was put in)? I'll definitly do the KDP fix asap since thats such a stupid thing to go wrong and kill your engine.

I'm hoping to get $4k for the chevy (already have a guy offering 3k, I'll try and get him to 3500). I don't want to spend much more than 6k on this truck out of pocket (3500 from chev, 6000 personal cash). I'll see what I can do with the current truck, nothing happens until I sell it.

If I just put in a deep trans pan and one of those electronic lock-up chips (I don't exactly know what they do, please inform me) will that be enough for the trans to plow with?
  4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

ot sure if you are interested in from the sates buy local auto ad has a 96 with low miles 100k for about 9g its 4x4 ext cab Dually
  5. BigDave12768

Ok its a 96 CTD 4x4 ext cab Long bed Dually 114k looks like its has a Fisher mount on front end. Picture is Black and white in Magazine So cant comment on body. But it needs a set of simulaters ($200) they are asking $7995. Doesnt seem that bad considering you might get a plow with it. Drrag it down to a detailer and have it cleaned up like a dealer would have it.
  6. musclecarboy

Hmm, that seems like somthing to consider. The only thing is, I'd want to look over a truck before making a buying decision. I wouldn't want to come all the way down to the states and be disappointed.
  7. BigDave12768

You could always ask him to email some Digital pictures too you. And this site is full of people from MA I bet someone lives close to it. I think its on North Shore. Is the one you are looking at Candian or US funds?
  8. musclecarboy

Canadian $$, its at a dealership near my house. I think somewhere in the $8-9k range is fair, lets see how well they bargain. I still need to sell my truck first though. I picked it up for $2500 in Dec, put $1300 into it to cert (front end stuff) and I'm now trying to sell it for $3500. Its listed for $3800 but we'll see what happens this week.
  9. duff daddy

duff daddy Senior Member

thoes trucks arent bad at all really you just need to see what he has done as far as injection/transfer pump set ups and just keep that tranny serviced with fluid and filter changes every 30k and you should be ok for a while, im sure the trans will need to be rebuilt at sompoint but we do have a service truck that comes in to the dealership where i work and has 250k and is BEAT by a service station and hes never done any tranny work besides services