1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looked at plow trucks today...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jun 9, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

Here's what I found today:

2001 Chev 2500HD, reg cab, 8' box, Western 8' plow, 500 miles. $26,000 (pretty stripped inside, no pw, pdl, no push button 4 wheel drive, no cd player)
    Dealer had 5 of these, said they were used to plow their lot last season.

2000 Chev 2500 (old body style), ext. cab, short box, 42,000 miles, $22,000

2001, Chev 2500 (new body style), ext. cab, 8' box, 27,000 miles, $25,000.

Some of my questions:

Is the ext. cab w/8' box too long and cumbersome to plow driveways?

I have 2 boys (10 & 8) and would like to be able to fit them in the truck also. Is it safe to carry them in the front seat of a reg cab pick up with the air bag shut off?

I've heard that plow brackets on the new body style Chevrolets sit too low. Anyone had a problem with this? I noticed that the plow bracket on the 2001 (above) was only about 4" or so above the ground (and that was with the plow on the ground). I would think when you raise the plow, that distance might only be a couple inches.

As always, thank you for any advice,

Joel B.
  2. gmshortbox

gmshortbox Junior Member
    from Mi.

If it was me I would pick one of the 2001
    he had or the one with 27,000 miles.The biggest reason for the one on the lot is warranty.Ride alongs while plowing,I don't think it's a good idea and I don't belive in it.Please don't take it the wrong way, nothing against your kids.But that's just me.The bracket issue,look at this way there is a whole lot of trucks using plows with this setup never have heard any problems.
    Good Luck