1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Looked at a 2001 f-250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Evan528, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Evan528

Evan528 PlowSite.com Veteran

Today I went and looked at a 2001 f-250 4x4 ext cab xlt with the V8. The truck is in nice shape exept for a dent in the rear bumber which isnt a big deal. When I started driving it it starting making a squeeling noise that sounded like it was coming from the drivers side front wheel.... never stoped as long as the truck was moving. Any ideas what this could be? The truck has brand new tires, new ball joints, new battery and new atlernator....107,000 miles. He is willing to sell the truck to me for $4800 (was asking 6,000) which is about $3-4,000 less than other 01 f-250's seem to be selling for around here. Ideally I would like to take the truck to be looked over by my mechanic but unfortunately the truck is about an hour away. For the price I feel like I better grab it before someone else does..... I would just like to have an idea what could be causing this front end noise first? Thank you for your help.
  2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Could be the wheel hub/unit bearing assembly.
  3. Evan528

Expensive repair?
  4. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I think they are $300-400 at the auto parts. A little more at Ford.

Easy to swap out. Just remove the tire/wheel, brakes, locking hub, etc.. and then remove the assembly. Bolt the new one on. If it doesn't come with the studs used to hold it to the knuckle I would recommend buying new ones to save from trying to swap the originals.

Now, if that unit bearing decides to seize against the axle shaft, the repairs can get costly and depending on how it fails it can take out a few parts with it.

To check, you can jack up the truck wiggle the tire to check for play and then spin the tire to see if you can hear anything.
  5. bluxprs

bluxprs Junior Member

could be the lock outs. I just replaced the hub assembly on both sides only to find out it is my warn hubs.be sure to get the o-ring too.
  6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

brake warning sensor?
  7. Evan528

DCSpecial hit the nail on the head! I took the truck to a mechanic to be looked over. Needs a new front hub bearing. The tire wigled back and forth with the front jacked up. Besides the hub, it needs 1 exaust hanger and 1 new hose clamp on a radiator hose. They said everything is in pretty good shape. We settled on a price of $4400 because the work that needs to be done. I feel its a very good deal for a 01 3/4 ton 4x4!
  8. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Good deal.

I would have bought it too :D
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Very good buy.
  10. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

Good buy, as long as it doesn't have the 5.4.
  11. Evan528

Unfortunately it does have the 5.4.... It will pretty much just be a backup truck though. My 03 Ram cummins will continue to do most of the heavy towing.

Back in 2000 I bought a brand new f-250 with the 5.4 and wasnt to pleased with its ability to tow heavy loads. In 03 I traded it for my ram 3500 cummins just for that reason.

For the price Im paying for this 01 I cant complain. It will do the job...just slower. Ideally I wanted a v-10 but just havent been able to find one at a decent price. I did not want another Diesel. Too expensive to run, maintain and repair.
  12. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

5.4 is a great, dependable motor, I have a 2 with them, one has 150K on it all hard miles too. That sounds like a heck of a deal. It would be worth asking the guy if you could take it for an hour to a ford dealer to have it checked out. Tell him up front that you are not going to try to lower the price down, just making sure it has no major issues. I have done this before, I think my ford dealer charged me $75.00. Well worth it if you ask me. Even if they tell you it needs a couple things it seems pretty good. My 2 cents.
  13. Evan528

I picked up the truck today. An hour long drive home and it drove great. Its getting the Hub bearing installed tomorrow and then I will post a picture. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Oddly enough I prefer the way it drives and handles over my 2003 dodge ram 3500 diesel. Something about it just feels more solid and beefy.
  14. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

my 2003 ford f-250 have the 5.4 with 145k on it and it runs great.
  15. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

My dad has a 2000 F250 with the 5.4 and 3.73 rear end. Doesn't even compare to my truck when towing. The thing has no balls what so ever. It has been very reliable though with very few issues. And it rides a hell of a lot better than my truck.