1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJ Contracting, Dec 20, 2008.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

WTF, Call the exterminator.....Low ballers coming out of the wood works!
  3. DJ Contracting

I just found one here in Bay City that will clean out any mobile home driveway for $8.00 one charge unlimited trips per storm.
  4. RepoMan207

from Maine

tell them to pack a bag, I'll board them for the season and make a crap load of money off them.
  5. DJ Contracting

The market around here is just melting away (no pun intended) because of these lowballers
  6. RepoMan207

from Maine

There every where, mostly rookies. Everyone needs to start somewhere, and the majority of the new guys don't understand what they are getting into pricing wise until the season is already underway. Nothing we can do but keep advertising through out the season. Which bumps that overhead a little further. Never ending cycle really.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

The second one states $15 dollar a drive. Say he gets 10 or 20 drives just from that free posting.
    $150-$300 a day in Michigan is good money. Right now there are many guys looking to put food on the table and gifts under the tree.

I have seen guys that post here talk about $15 drives and the occasional cheaper.

A low-baller in my view is one who will bid on a job after you. Ask what your bid was and under cut it by 25% or more. Roofers are real bad when it comes to this. If he is not bidding on your jobs and only placing a ad on craigslist how is it being a low-baller?

Maybe he is a one man crew working from his garage and unemployed from other work. In fact being Michigan maybe he is at the point of his unemployment benefits having run out.

If it came down to it and I needed the money you can bet I would be working for what I could get as long as I was paying for my gas and a bit more at the end of the day.

Times are tough and they are about to get tougher. You think that Mom-n-Pop store can keep paying for plowing 3 or 4 times a week at the going rate? You think Walmart is going to keep paying $200+ a hour when someone will do it for less? Owners get on here and look at prices. Some may post but many just lurk and read.

They see when guys brag about getting paid what some do. Probably shaking their heads as they pay more then a $grand a week for snow plowing. Could you afford that cost? Trust me not every lot is a bank or hospital or some federal job. In fact most are not.

Better think of ways to cut your costs and labor expenses now because it will be a whole new bidding process next year for people that have had large snow amounts the last 2 seasons and high unemployment. Prices will not be going up either.

How many added fuel surcharges last year? Have you now removed those costs on the contract?

Be careful how you term a person a low-baller because it may just apply to you in the future.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Reaper makes some good points, I'd be all for making 300 a day if I were out of work and looking to feed the family or put something under the tree for the kids, I was there once and didn't like it. Bottom line is if a guy isn't hacking your buisness why break his chops???? I'm in a better plcae now but a few years ago I knew what the going rates were and I was in the position where if I'd had the equipment I would have worked cheap, less is still better than none.............
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

you guys found my add i see...

I making like $5/hr after its all said and done, so who's on top now?..lol
  11. TLB

TLB Senior Member

12. TLB

TLB Senior Member

he can do my driveway too if he wants
  13. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

$5 per hour is more than $0 per hour when you're out of work.

The trick is to market your service that it's above and beyond the cheaper rates so you can get the rate you want.
  14. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

I can't believe nobody's light bulb has turned on......
    best thing to do with guys like this is CALL THEM; find out how they rank on the food chain (equipment-wise), then HIRE THEM if you can. Tell them "pull your ad, buddy, I can keep you busy!" That way you're saving overhead, he's tearing up HIS truck, & won't be able to take as many new accounts from the ad because hes too busy working for you. Granted thats in a perfect world, but well worth trying........
  15. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Liability issues?
  16. Jon Schuler

Jon Schuler Member

There you go! Guys on this site were shocked when I was chatting about how we have had to drop some prices down to $65.00 an hour just to keep some long time customers. Even that rate I was told was around half that the other guy's estimate. Plowing for $25.00an hour??? Its bad around here. Yardsmith I like your idea!!!
  17. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

no but Im sorry thats a LOWBALLER. and yes I agree about putting food on the table but still. Unfortunately we are in a business where for the most part anybody with a motor and some wheels with a plow on it can do snow plowing. I never have a problem with a guy doing a couple of his neighbors for 10-20 bucks a pop to put gas in his truck and pay for the plow he bought to do his own driveway. I have a problem with these guys trying to compete in a real market.

1-they take work away from people who do this a business year round and have big and necessary overhead
    2-not only do we not make any money, but come on they aren't either at those prices
    3-they usually never have insurance
    4-most have poor equipment and no back up plan so they eventually leave you out to dry
    5-they lack any real business plan and idea of what is needed to run a business

Again this is okay for your neighbor or good old Aunt Sally but not to be in business

I dont know whats worse the fact they dont know what they are doing or the fact they dont know they are doing it for free at those kind of prices.
  18. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I want to hire the guy from the first add. $40 for big business parking lots

Ive got a big business parking lot he can do in the flint area......Its a Home Depot
  19. DJ Contracting

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050