1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Look what just happened at work.

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 20Silverado05, Jul 16, 2010.

1. 20Silverado05

20Silverado05 Senior Member

The tech next to me was working on it . was helping him do a tire rotation and when it was in the air I had just put that back left tire on the studs then the rear end dropped out of no where almost knocked me on my ass. Frame buckled right blow the cab.

2. 20Silverado05

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Oh boy.

Looks like trouble for someone! :eek:
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Yikes. I'm sure that got everyones attention. Shouldn't the truck have been placed a little further forward on the lift so the arms reached further back on the frame?
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I bet the owner will be pretty happy to see that (or at least pretend to be really upset, knowing full well that the truck was messed up to begin with)
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

They are extend-able....but notice they are not extended in the pic.

You got that right! :laughing:
  7. 20Silverado05

The truck had been worked on all day yesterday in the same position on the lift and this morning when it was raised back up it didnt last 15 mins before it gave out.
  8. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Definitely not positioned correctly on the lift. Should of been lifted further back by the spring shackle.
  9. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

I agree 100% ... Rust weakened frame plus one faulty lift =

Now tell the truth.. we all know you were the one workin on it...lol

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Could the lift arms been positioned better, probably. But I think the owner should be thankful that it happened in the shop rather than on the hiway with a load on or trailer behind killing himself or others, Rust is the problem more than positioning of the lift arms.
  11. 20Silverado05

I agree it wasnt lifted properly but wasnt me who lifted it so I cant argue . lol
  12. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That's where I would have lifted it from.
  13. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

So heres a question....Who's pocket does that come out of? Ins? Owner of truck? Owner of shop?
  14. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

What did the boss say?
  15. 20Silverado05

Boss said exactly what "SNOWLORD" said . The guy just came in, "What happened to my beauty?" he said . so I'll find out later whats going on with it.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I am curious to what happens now.

Is the customer really just going to be ok with the truck now useless? Insurance claim?
    customer going to blame the shop? warranty? really where do you even stop.

If im taking my truck to a shop and I find out it wasnt being lifted properly Im going to point the finger a bit even if it is rusty. Sure it was only on the lift 15 mins when it broke but maybe the damage was done while it sat there the whole day before?

Do shops have insurance for that kind of stuff ?
  17. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

It dropped like a rock
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If the truck owner goes to his insurance company they will surely file a supplication suit against the garage owner.

If the shop owner is properly insured the question would be is it covered under the Garage Keepers or General Liability binder, the answer to which is kind of thing my insurance agent could dissertate for hours over.

I know someone who had a slightly similar issue, the truck fell sideways and was wedged between the lift and the wall. But it was his truck, his employees, his shop, none of the insurances would cover it.

and if they look at those pictures where the hoist arms are not where they should be... the owner of the truck will win... but then really what will he win.. pay $1000 deductable to get his truck written off and be left with a some cash to try and find a new truck? oh fun!

but if their are no pictures and the truck is down, then what? or if the truck is now outside? how does the owner of the truck prove anything unless he is a plowsite member and now has those pics?

Its one thing if the mechanic is dealing with a stripped bolt or you have to fix something because you cant just replace 1 part and it costs more but this I want to see.

can you replace a frame? or is truck toast? seriously I dont know Im not being funny
    would it now be a rebuilt title?