1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Look what I broke! ---PICS---

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jeremy85, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

I hit the snow banks too hard the other day, whoops!

Its fixed all ready. I beveled the tubes, welded the hell out of it, and put some plate across the top for good measure. Plows fine now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 10elawncare

10elawncare Senior Member

That sucks. Atleast you were able to fix it, could've been much worse!

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

OMG!!! Half the snow bank is still on the front of your truck or actually under the hood! Nice one!

4. ogdenflooring

ogdenflooring Member

Did you learn anything from this????

5. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

for free too no less

6. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

it was light fluffy stuff, so it was every where

7. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

hit snow banks square, not angled lol

8. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

I think that's the weak spot on the TM plows, mine was broken and repaired there also. Mines been reinforced a little more than yours but if it ever brakes again I'll build a new A-frame from scratch.

9. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

i did notice that there was rust on some of the pipe where a crack first developed in the pipe where it broke. Then the rest was a fresh clean break.

plus, I didn't want it to be too strong so that if something brakes again, the A frame will and not something else.

It was nice too how it broke behind the chain. I was still able to lift it.:D

10. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Holy crapola!! How fast were you going?

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It's amazing!!! Everytime you think you can move that old snow bank, they just bite you in the ass!!

12. Lowell_Ma_Snow

Lowell_Ma_Snow Member

Luckily you were able to fix it. I'd off kicked my own butt if I did that. Thanks for sharing the pics now it gives me a vision if I ever decide to hit a 2 ton pile.

13. nbenallo33

nbenallo33 Senior Member

ouch! that had to hurt!!..
    i have seen this many times where people tried fixing their a frames keep in mind it is only a band-aid...

14. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

I sell plows to Kansas City International Airport. They have a bunch of Henke 18' plows and (6) 22' plows. They are 50" tall with a 3/8" poly sheet over a 3/16" steel moldboard. They had pushed a big pile of snow onto one of the emergency exit ramps that is never used. It sat there for a few days accumalating some of the freezing rain we were getting. One smart@$$ decided that he was going to push this pile out of the way and decided that doing it at 40 mph would be a good idea. He freaking mangled the plow on the right side. I saw it one time after the fact and wish I would have taken a picture of it.

15. jeremy85

jeremy85 Member
    from nh

Its not that I was going fast or that the pile was even big, It was alot of presure on only the left side of the blade.

I was first pushing snow to the left(green arrows)
    Then to clean up that line nice and straight I pushed where the red arrow is.
    The white arrow is very dense packed snow. I was pushing that bank on the right square.
    [​IMG]

The weaker A frame due to the crack in the tube simply pulled apart. The angle piston on the left acted as a pivot point and the plow acted as a nice lever to pull the A frame apart.
    [​IMG]

They should make it so that if there is a shock load to the angle pistons that the pressure can bleed the fluid back into pump.

16. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

There is a crossover relief built into the pump that will allow the plow to angle.

17. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

my meyer a-frame is weak there as well.

I need a new one.

18. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

thats why you dont buy meyer.

19. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

just a question...........how do you break the frame and not bend the hydraulic rams?

20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If tghe crossover is set properly, the blade should have just angled all the way to the left, when you hit the ice pile. Have you messed with the crossover?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.