1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Look out EZ Snow...it's coming!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by griffithtlc, Oct 25, 2003.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

We finally had a few flakes! it just started about 1/2 hour ago. Very light, but it is snow!

2. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

man, you beat me to it!!! I was just out to wally world to find some camo (they don't have any:rolleyes: ) and white gold was falling!!!
    :bluebounc purplebou :redbounce

plow goes on thursday!

3. griffithtlc

Did you decide on the Blizzard yet?

4. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

well, it was gonna be a secret till I had pics, but I went with a pro-plus. The cash flow situation I'm in right now made the western a better short-term decision for us. I just couldn't pony up the extra grand. I wanted to, but I couldn't. I figure I'll run this western for its warranty period (2yr) and see what the biz can handle at that time. oh well...:rolleyes:

5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

The Pro Plus looks like it will be a real good, strong plow, a step up from the original Pro Plow like I have. I cant wait to start hearing some feedback from guys who have them and will use them this season. The taller moldboard height is a definite advantage alone. I cant comment on a Blizzard snowplow, never seen one or used one, but they seem to be up and coming. Seems alot of guys from this site are starting to buy them, but I dont think you made a bad choice going with the Western Pro Plus, I think you made a fine choice! Besides a red truck with a red plow is a sweet combo! :drinkup: Mike

6. griffithtlc

Guess I spilled the beans :eek: :rolleyes: Good luck with the pro plus, from what I've seen of them, they should be really stout. How much does that plow weigh?

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

They range in weight by a few pounds depending on the size. The 8' Pro Plus weighs 805 plus mount. The 8.5' Pro Plus weighs 821 plus mount. The 9' Pro Plus weighs 837 plus mount. Thats a pretty heavy plow, alot heavier than the Pro Plows, well not alot but a good deal heavier. Mike :)

8. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

in two seasons, I put more into repairing/ upgrading my old uni-mount pro than I did buying it... The ultra pros look a whole lot more stout, but have you seen the quadrant/ pivot on the pro-plus??? BEEF!!!

Weighs 821#. The western manual specs up to a 8' pro-plus on my truck with 900# ballast... I'm going 8'-6". It's only 16# more than the 8 footer.

Hey Mike- you upgrade to the new A&Q with 4 springs yet?

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Whats an A&Q? LOL! I have 3 trip springs, well I guess you knew that already! ;) All the 7.5' Pro Plows like mine have 3 springs I think. Whats this A&Q talk?? :D Mike

10. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

A-Frame and Quadrant... If you backdrag AT ALL, and you've had a your plow for what, 9 years? then your pivot point between the A-frame and Quadrant have failed. Mine was shot when I bought it used, so I had it patched two or three times, then spent 800 bucks and had it upgraded to the new-style uni-mount A&Q. It has at least twice the metal on the nose of the A-Frame, and the quadrant is all tubular rather than the bent angle iron/ bent flat stock on the old style. And the connection point for the lift chain is boxed... overall much stronger. And has provision for four trip springs- stiffens up 'ol floppy quite a bit.

11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Ahh, I see what you mean now. No, I still have the old style, never been upgraded. Yea, the plow is about 10 years old, it was put on in 1993. Im not gonna do anything to it though, it seems to work fine. If anything breaks, then Ill of course get it fixed the best I can. It does wobble left to right somewhat when raised if you shake it side to side. I know what you mean, where it connects, its flat so it has the tendency to wobble back and forth. Fisher plows have a pin at that spot if I recall correctly and they have absolutely no side to side wobble. I think a little bit of wobble is good though to make up for uneven pavement when plowing in a lot or down a driveway apron. Mike :waving:

12. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

well, I thought it was 800 well spent. You don't realize how loose yours is until you get your hands on a tight one. You're right, though- a fresh uni-mount doesn't have much twist in it for following grades in pavement. That's one of the reasons they failed. Not only did they have to pivot left and right to angle the plow, but that same point has to absorb the twisting (torsional) loads that come with plowing uneven ground. The four springs was a huge help, too.

The ultras have the torsional pivot built into the beam at the back of the a-frame- should help the A&Q ;) live alot longer... nevermind that my new quadrant will be a six-inch pipe!!!:eek: :D

13. griffithtlc

Did you hear what Dave Dahl said for this weekend:eek: 4" of ACCUMULATION! But, you know how our weathermen are, it will probably end up being 70 degrees and sunny!

14. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

well, if Dave Dahl calls it, it's out best chance. I don't really trust any of them. I just watch the weather channel's radar on the web... that tells me more than all the locals put together!

As long as I get till thursday....

15. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

anyone else have 1" contracts?

snowfcst_600x405.jpg

16. griffithtlc

purplebou :redbounce :bluebounc Gotta get the 4 wheeler plow on!!!

17. flatbed

flatbed Member

well were getting it out west now ...got a half inch in the drive... real lite stuff... to cold....only in the teens...weather said snow on and off for the next 4 days......we got 5 in. at the ski hill Thurs...and a skiff at my place....need to put my blade on today......looks like winter is here.......for now.....

18. flatbed

flatbed Member

well were getting it out west now ...got a half inch in the drive... real lite stuff... to cold....only in the teens...weather said snow on and off for the next 4 days......we got 5 in. at the ski hill Thurs...and a skiff at my place....need to put my blade on today......looks like winter is here.......for now.....

19. flatbed

flatbed Member

ooooops.....hit the wrong key only meant to put it on once.....sorry:eek:

20. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Well it seems to be getting warmer in my area:mad: But hopefully the temps will start to get colder as the days go by:redbounce