1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Look at what Mass DOT bought this year. WOW

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by meathead1134, Nov 10, 2011.

1. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

2. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Holy crap that's a good sized blade! Twenty-tive feet? Nice.
  3. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

WOW is right I would love to see that thing in action, seems awkward to drive/tow but I would love to see it
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Is it weird you only gain one extra lane of cleaning for the 25 feet. The plow on the truck is what 11-12 feet? seems like you could have a nice truck for year round use for $100,000.00 and maybe include a workers salary
  6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That tow blade is not verry high. Id think by the time all (25 feet + 10 foot from the truck plow) the snow got to the end of the blade it would just go over the top of the blade.
  7. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

That thing will be sitting in a yard after some knucklehead destroys it on a guardrail!
  8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I still haven't figured what the DOT obsecession is with the "tow plows", in NY some of the DOT trucks have dual wings, one on each side, to me that seems like a better idea, they ma have "tow plows, I just haven't seen one. I cant imagine trying to plow, control a salter, then tow a trailer, with a complete additional set of controls, seems like an accident waiting to happen. So while it may save them money short money in fuel/labor, @ 100K a piece, then taking into the fact I think they are going to kill someone with one. Personally in the long run I think it will end up costing these states more money.
  9. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I agree the state trucks with a huge wing on each side will clear just as wide.
  10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

The tow plows are cool until you get stuck behind one on the interstate... :realmad:
  11. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

In the video, only about 5ft are touching the road, not very effective is it? Or can you angle it somehow?
  12. PlowThisSnow

PlowThisSnow Junior Member

Im sure we'll all see it on the news hahaaa. :D
  13. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

There is no more work involved then there was before... they just swapped having to control a wing for towing the trailer.
  14. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

It looks like a wreck and lawsuit ready to happen.
  15. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

G landscape,
    I haven't looked at one in person but there is a second spreader, then you have to swing the wing out, lower, & some how watch it to the complete rear of truck. I have to assume it also has some trailer properties as well, so turning radius, etc are going to be affected, just seems like a lot more going on and it's to the rear of the truck. I'm sure there are blind spots all over on those trucks to start with the couple stupid drivers & snow just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. But again that's just my thoughts. I tend to have alot of the newer technologies ( all v plows, sectional plow, Inverted blower, started liquid calcium) but I do believe somtimes in the KISS methodology, is best this is one of those instances. I do hope I'm wrong, time will tell.
  16. ameyerman

ameyerman Senior Member

MoDOT has 3 of them. Very cool to see them running down the highway. They have been runing them around here for about 2 years now.
  17. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Ct dot Tested one last year on the route 8 torrington run. It was cool watching it go down the road. I saw no real need for it. It can'nt be used in traffic or any single lane state roads. They have had better luck with there new tri axles with double wings.
  18. NFDDJS

NFDDJS Member
    from USA, NH

I want to know where you are getting your workers!? ONE full time person that makes $38000 a year with all the cost like workers comp, insurance, and a 401K cost just over $60,000 a year. Then you can add over time, and if they work over time workers comp goes up because workers come is all set at 40 hours a week and if they work more then at when you renew your workers comp they will charge more for those hours. It is VERY easy to have a full time person cost you $80,000 or more.

The state of NH just got one of these also, they did a cost study on these and they had to add $10,000 to the cost of the truck or trucks they got to pull this because off the added HP they need to pull these. After all the added cost they said one truck with plow, wing and spreader with one of the 25 plows can clean 3 lines and only made they truck they tested it with burn 23% more fuel. That is a BIG saving!!! That saves them the cost of one driver and one truck that is big!!! They seems to work great if you have some one that knows what they are doing behind the wheel...
  19. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Some good points. MNDOT has been using these for several years. They don't use them in the metro, but in out-state areas, where they have long stretches of rural 4-lane highways, they seem to work quite well.
  20. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

It seems like its not scraping the road. Not sure if its just the above video. I would think if it wasnt angled so much it would be more effective. Something like a 18ft rear plow or wings would do better but wouldnt salt.