1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Look at this beat up old equipment trailer

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by MatthewG, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Shall I buy this and fix it up?
    Dont know rating but has to be 12 -14K
    Deck boards are shot
    Wheels are ugly as heck
    Needs to be blasted and painted
    He wants $1500 cash
    It was last inspected in 09
    Im sure it needs wiring work
    Im concerned about the non adjustable pintle as my F350 hitch sits really low to begin with

I need a bigger deck over, and new ones are 5 grand

Yes, No, Maybe, Too Much?

2. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

looks pretty solid to me, won't take much to fix up.
  3. LunchBox

LunchBox Senior Member

I'd say go for it. I bet in three days it could be wiired and painted
  4. Fire_n_Ice

Fire_n_Ice Senior Member

Go for it....wouldn't worry about the pintle. Just buy an adjustable hitch that will raise up huh enough to accommodate it. Haggle with him and see how low you can get it.
  5. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Looks ready to roll to me.
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I was just going to say, that looks better than 9 out of 10 trailers rolling around in Maine.
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

By the time you pay $1500 plus the decking, wiring, blasting and paint you could be well on your way to a nice shiny new one. Not sure how much of that you plan on doing yourself but its something to think about. Just make sure the frame is in good shape.
  8. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

looks similar to a warren

I'd check that the brake parts haven't been stripped out of it, unless you know they work.
  9. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Those are a crappy wheel/hub setup. Just sayin'....
  10. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I showed the pics to my dad, he always seems to know what's best. It is a heavy trailer and like most of you said I'll have over 2 grand in it till its done. And yes those are super ugly mobile home wheels
  11. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Check the brakes. No brakes, no sale.
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like a pretty solid trailer to me. It would look real good if you cleaned it up and painted it.
  13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Like your dad said you will have 2 grand maybe a little more into it. I would plan on brakes, if tires are mobile home tire you'll need them as well. Other than that it doesn't look to bad. I bought a 16' deck over last spring for 1500, has standard 6 or 8 lug rims but rust wise it is worse than that, mechanically it is very good though. I was happy to get it for $ 1500.
  14. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

If you can afford it, buy a new one. You will have nothing to worry about for years. Strip deck, blast, rewire, maybe new hubs, wheels, brakes, tires, lights and then redeck. I did the same thing and kick myself for doing it. Save yourself the headache.
  15. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Id try to get him down a bit on price. Im thinking 1000-1200. Defenetly check the brakes before you make a deal. They arent real spendy to replace if you do it yourself but it is one more thing you would be spending money on. Id say as long as you will be doing the majority of the work yourself then go for it. If you have to pay someone to fix it up for you then Id go new.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What size rims/tires are they? If they are 16.5's they are getting spendy and harder to find, not as many manufacturers are making them.
  17. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I agree with your oldman. By the time you add in your labor and evrything you need to buy. I would just buy a new one and forget about it.
  18. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

If you got the money and the time go for it.
  19. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I'd buy it. Ya, talking new sounds great, but that's a well built trailer. Replacing that new will be a LOT more than what you'll have in that one. And I mean a compoarable trailer, not some mass produced junk that looks like that one. That trailer would cost every bit of $6-7k or more new.

And to base it on if the brakes work? Brakes are cheap. Replace them even if they do work. I'd put new axles on it myself and get away from the old school bud wheels......but it's youre money. Put a whole new suspension under it and it'll be good for another 15 years. I could have that trailer dialed in and almost new for around $3k total. New wood, blasted and all. Look what you'd have for the $$.

I got into one a few years back for $1,200. Similar but not a deckover. Didn't have to replace the deck, or wheels and tires, but I did do axles, brakes, jack, some fabbing (quite a bit), blasting, paint, and still had under $2,500 in it. I sold it for $3,500.
  20. salopez

salopez Senior Member

that hitch looks adjustable to me. its the same style as on my eager beaver.