1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

longest storm you plowed

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LINY Rob, Dec 3, 2004.

1. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

30 hours for me a few years back when Long Island got about 24-30 inches, that was constant snow,, we dont get hit with alot of snow like some of you I guess.

4 hours rest then went back out to finish for another 12 hours

I was plowing the fire lanes and the entrances of a supermarket for what seemed like forever as it was coming down

isnt it amazing how many people decide to go food shopping in a blizzard? :dizzy:

2. brian m

brian m Member

I think it was march of '92, the storm started Friday morning and ended Sunday late afternoon. The total in my area was 24"
    I think I made around $2400, so I went out a bought myself a 55" big screen tv for all the hard work I did!
    Oh, the Monday after my friend calls to see if I could plow his parking lot at his Bike Shop. He tells me the state plow truck that normally comes thru his lot (with the plow down) never showed.
    So I somehow got this big ass parking lot with 24" of frozen-over and packed snow cleared. I ended up bending the plow frame though, but he gave me a couple of hundred dollars worth of Harley parts plus some chump change.
    I think I broke even!
    This was with a 1988 K5 Blazer. Remember those trucks?
    Anyways I think I went a 24 hr stretch somewhere in the middle of that storm, but altogether it was around 36hrs pushin' snow.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

a little over 30 years and it is still going! I am married to it.

4. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

longest storm-liny rob

The longest storm we worked was jan 7-8 1996. 48 straight hours then a 4 hour break,then 8 hours of scraping. We plow for shaws supermarkets in massachusetts and many many people go shopping in heavy snowstorms. We call it blizzard of 78 syndrome for those of you who are old enough to rembermber. isuzu npr hd with 9 ft snoway-kubota b7500 with power angle plow,2 stage front pto snowblower or la302 front loader, heated cab .

5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

26 hours straight in a dual event. Then there was the time we had a snow event every other day. Day one 18 hours, day 2 my daughter was born, day 3 mother in law moved in ( this should count for double ), day 4 snow event, etc. it was a nasty little cycle when you through in the day job too.

6. DJC

DJC Senior Member

37 hours for me :mad:

7. Kevinrum

Kevinrum Junior Member

Last November 37 hours straight, first snowstorm and my first plow truck. I was about to bring the truck back to the dealer!!!
    Until a week later when the check showed up. payup

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  8. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

37 hours for me, it was miserable.that is way too long with no sleep. Pretty dangerous to be on the roads really. I try not to do that stuff anymore. I would be wobbleheadin' and wake up in different lanes on the highway. Young and dumb, should have just took a little nap but was afraid i wouldn't wake back up! I will go 24 hours no problem, but will make myself a least take a nap after that to stay safe.
    Lawnking-did you go 48 hours with no sleep?? Man that's a long time!

9. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Blizzard of 96 we got over 3 feet. 3 trucks plowed for 4 days straight different drivers.

10. 81GMDump

81GMDump Junior Member
    from Canada

52 Hours Plowing only 16 inches of snow we were limited on plow drivers slept for 29 hours afterwards

11. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

First year plowing winter of 98" just got my western plow and got called as a sub we plowed out our local Mall 8 trucks in all plus two ft end loaders was supposed to be 2" - 4" then the wind shifted out of the NE ended up with about three feet of snow Plowed from Sat. 12:00 AM - Mon. 8:00 AM with two hours sleep. Did anyone ever warn you guys about blinking for to long and find the snow pile was a lot closer than you thought It happened to me that night so make sure you get some sleep.

12. demetrios007

demetrios007 Member

blizzard of 96 here in NJ. Was my first year out, third storm ever plowing, 48 hrs with a couple hour nap in the middle. 2 trucks, 2 drivers.......

13. lawn king

longest storm-mx495

That is the honest truth mx. I hope i never have to do it again. I was plowing in a brand new silverado ext. cab at that time, with the origional curtis series 2000. that was a great plow and a plush truck. When we finally got the call to break i was so tired i was talking to myself. The great thing about plowing supermarkets is you never go hungry. Plow on!!!!

14. osbo68

osbo68 Member

Last yrs Chistmas storm here in Ut. We had close to 28" in 3days. 23 hrs. first day. 45 min nap and a shower. Then 18 hrs day 2 followed by 3hrs shop time replacing a front axle U-joint.Then a 5hr nap followed by another dozen hrs or so! :nod: :jester: Gotta love them days. Yea Ha!!! purplebou

15. lawn king

longest storm-scottL

After a run like that my friend, you need a cold one at the top of the hancock building, or a serious pizza at carmans. There is weather,bad weather,severe weather and there is chicago weather. Chicago is the best!!! 15 trips there in the last decade! I cant wait for the taste of chicago 2005. Plow on.

16. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Blizzard of 78 in RI. We started getting snow on a Monday morning and 8 to 12 was predicted. We got between 38" and 42". The State was shut down for the whole week. Spent a day in a Walter snowfighter till it tossed it's chains and got burried in a snow bank. Then it was on a Wain-Roy backhoe (open cab) for the rest of the week. I was working for Schlitz at the time and I got calls all week from the colleges looking for beer. The only account we could ship was the Providence Worcester Railroad's bar and they sent freight engine to our dock and ran with the kegs on the outside walkway to Cumberland from Providence. They had to drag the kegs 500 yards down the street from the crossing but they got their beer....

The Buffalo NY plows came and worked some of the highways. The highways were clogged with cars and they were using loaders with spikes to load cars on flat deck trailers and dropped them at Lincoln Downs racetrack by dragging them off. (not real pretty)

I had a 2 room appartment and a local nursing home my girlfriend worked at had 2 girls that couldn't make it home so they stayed over. By the end of the week we had 9 girls and 2 guys staying. They were sending food over to feed us and we'd get a call at 6am on a head count and orders for which girls had to work that day. Plow all day and party all night. What a great week....

17. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

longest storm

47 hrs, for us back in Jan 1999

18. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

4 days strait with a combined 10 hours of sleep.

19. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Longest was 28 hours. I told the drivers to go home and that I did not want to see any of them until they had a minimum of 5 hours of sleep...just way to dangerous after that many hours.

20. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

don't make me bring back the post"storm pictures from buffalo"- we got you all beat