1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Longest Bed for Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by turfquip, May 30, 2003.

1. turfquip

turfquip PlowSite.com Veteran

Please forgive me if this subject has been covered ad infinitum...but here goes.

I am concidering oine of the new GMC 4500 series trucks and want to stick an 8 or maybe a 8.5 foot plow on it. The problem is, I also need as much bed as possible without affecting plowing efficiency too much.

Most of my plowing jobs are medium size (200 - 300 cars) lots with nooks and crannies sprinkled throughout.

My ideal bed length would be 16 feet but I know that might be too long and take away from the truck's maneuverability.

So, what length of bed do you guys plow with, and what would be the maximum recommendation?

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have been seeing alot of them in my area and they have 10' beds on them with the plow gear on the front.I would keep to the same type of bed ,But with a truck like that it would be hard to plow real tight spots anyways just from the the shear size of the truck.It much bigger than a 450-550.
  3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

They have a tight turning radius to help with the size. Go for a test drive and check them out. Drive it through one of your tougher lots to get the feel.
    I would also add at least a 9' plow maybe more. I don't know the front axle specs so check them out.

Cat, I hardly see any of them around. I did see a crew cab with a bed at Mirak Chevy in Arlington a couple of weeks ago.
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I saw one today one guy in my town just got one and strong landscape has one they look like 10' they could be 12' but really hard to tell from just driving by them fast.I did see a new one from mirak when i was working in arlington a while ago real sharp truck.
  5. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I just looked at the GM site and it shows the 4500 with snow plow prep having a 7,000lb front GVW.
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'd be more concerned about wheelbase,as that will determine your turning radius.Once you decide on a suitable wheelbase,then you can match your body to the cab to axle distance.
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

One of the selling points that GM quotes for this truck is the tighter turning angle of the front axle, 51 degrees if I remember correctly. This may allow you to use a longer wheelbase than would be practical on other trucks.
  8. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

You should take a better look at selecting the plow size. The 4500 are dually, and heck, with 16' bed, I would not go any smaller than 9' plow.
  9. nben

nben Senior Member

We have a HD3500 with a twelve foot bed and 9.5' vee. The turning radius is no where near as good as the new C4500-5500 chassis. Our truck is fine in parking lots and roadways. The rear tires will hit the windrow occasionally on tight turns, but so does my 3/4 ton pick-up with a 8.5 vee. Like everything else, a little common sense goes a long way. :D
  10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

i wouldn't go any smaller than a 9.5 foot snowplow. a 16 bed should be just fine. what kind of plow will you be installing?
  11. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

Yea the 16' bed will be alright with a big parkin lot .I'd put a 10' meyers or even a blizzard 8611 would be perfect for that.
  12. turfquip

turfquip PlowSite.com Veteran

Wow! Thanks for all the great advice guys. I see now that I should definately consider a larger plow. Also, just to be safe, I may go with a 14' bed. Combined with that tighter radius I should be good to go.
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

You will definitely want a bigger plow,like a municipal\commercial blade.A Blizzard 8611 would be another good choice.Might as well use that truck to it's potential.
  14. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We have a 2003 Chevy 4500 with a 11' Bed and a 10' Fisher plow.
    I would definately not go any smaller with the plow, maybe a V or a blizzard, and for us the bed length is ok, if you are doing really large places maybe a 13' or 14' would be alright, but then anymore I would think would be too big. We love ours it plows and works great, great truck you wont be sorry. Just My two cents