1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

long time listener, first time caller. i need advice.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by infinity88, Aug 18, 2004.

1. infinity88

infinity88 Junior Member

hi, my name is Don, i live in michigan. twenty minutes outside of detroit. i have been looking at this site non- stop for about 4 months finding awesome information, and finally decided to register, and post. i am SOOOO COMITTED to start doing great quality work in the summer landscaping, and in the winter PLOWING SNOW! my father is my idol. he has been self employed for about 25 years. he says it's the only way to go. he has provided me with ENDLESS good advice. i have started landscaping with basic equipment this summer, and am TOTALLY EXCITED!!! to do plowing this winter (god i love my truck! ). however, i want to do this right. i have recently purchased an 88 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L V6. the truck has larger tires on it. - Goodyear Wrangler GS-A 30x9.50R15LT 's. the truck is solid, and has 50K on a rebuild, and the tranny is strong. i have also recently purchased an older WESTERN Unimount sport utility 6.5' plow. I AM GEEKED!!! the plow came with a joystick, the power cable to the battery, and the frame mount that came from a 91 S-10.

first question - will i need timbrens front and rear?

second question - how much will the wiring cost that i don't have (BALLPARK)?

third question - do i need to do anything (winterize) to this truck to prepare it for plowing <aside from mounting the plow>?

fourth question - how do i go about re-painting the blade? ( the paint is flaking off, and i don't want the plow to rust any more than it has.)

fifth question - how does the plow look, and does it need maintanence?

- you guys have been a great source of advice for me thus far. thanks in advace for your quality advice. and i am EXTREMELY excited to becoming a member of the plowsite family! (PICTURES OF MY EQUIPMENT WILL BE POSTED IN THE PICTURES SECTION) -under title of 88 S-15

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  2. infinity88

infinity88 Junior Member

also, anyone have any idea on what year this plow is?

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite.
    The truck looks nice for an 88, that plow also looks perfect for the truck. I would consider putting some timbrens (load boosters) in the front. You may need an auxillary transmission cooler but its not necessary, another thing to consider is a transmission temperature gage because plowing can be very hard on the transmission. Is it and automatic or manual? Are you going to install the plow yourself or are you going to pay someone to bolt up the mount and do the wiring? As far as painting goes i would sand it down first then paint it, someone else who knows more about painting plows will tell you more though. If the plow is off a 91 S-10 i guess you have to assume the plow was purchased new in 91, so its a 91? I think western came out with the unimount around 1989 or 90 so it was definately made after that. How much plowing do you plan on doing?

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Load boosters - Front: Yes, Rear: No (no load on the rear)

Wiring - I'm guessing around $150 with wiring included

Winterize - Check all fluids and grease; change engine oil and transmission fluid; Flush radiator. Have front end components and brakes checked. Get suitable tires.

Painting - check out this thread: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5424&highlight=paint

Plow Maintenance - hook it up. Check hydraulic fluid level. Operate it; Up/Down, Left/Right. Check for leaks and frayed lines. Check hydraulic fluid level again.

Plow looks fine, just needs a little TLC. Snow will stick to rusty areas. You might just get a cutting edge that can be bolted to the existing edge. There are several types (steel, rubber, urethane) and basically comes down to budget.

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

#1 thing to do is get new tires before winter those GS-A's are worthless.

6. infinity88

infinity88 Junior Member

some more info that you guys asked about, and some more questions:

thanks cja, all the sheet metal was replaced about 2 years ago, and the truck was a florida truck until recently. the truck is an automatic, i am definately going to pay a dealer to mount and wire the plow. ( they quoted me $450 for everything labor/parts and the like, b/c i do need some wires. all i have is the one that goes to the battery, not the one that goes to the controller, and i guess i need another different wiring harness too.)

how much is a trans temp guage do you think installed? and DO I ABSOLUTELY NEED IT?

i am just starting out, and plan to plow residentially around my house by the push.

the only other question that i had was : the wrangler GSAs they are almost brand new (about 15% worn). they come stock on a jeep wrangler. my dad has a 02 wrangler X with these tires, and it performs GREAT in the snow. why do you guys insist on new tires? are they that bad? i don't have TONS of money, and i'm really trying to get by with the least amount of overhead. do i really really really need new tires?

hey, thanks again for reading my post, and would like to thank you all in advance for your advice. -Don

7. Raydon

Raydon Member

Don, I have found since belonging to this site that there are always varying opinions about equipment. Considering the type of plowing you anticipate doing this upcoming season, you might consider trying your tires this season and see for yourself. I also am using what came on my truck until such time that I need new ones. Then I will ask here and take a poll. Also in regards to your paint questions, you may want to see about having the plow and harness sandblasted. You can see that your welds are OK and that there are no cracks anywhere and get a good surface for paint. Good Luck with your endeavor.

Ray

8. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

Don, Welcome.

I would not worry so much about puitting alot of money into your tires. Especially if you are on a shoe sting and only doing driveways. I did not take notice but if your truck is a 4X4 and you give yourself some ballast in the bed you should be alright. What I would do just stating out is get what I have in good condition. One of the biggest Problems that I see when I am out is Batterys and alternators. Remember you will be out in the coldest weather if your battery and charging system is not up to par it does not matter how aggressive your tires are if the truck want start. One site that I was on last year I believe that some of the operators spent more money on starter fluid and Booster cables than they did on salt.

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Trans temp gauge i guess not alot of money, my uncle got and installed mine for free so i really have no idea on that one. NO NO NO it is not absoultely necessary, id don't want to make you go out and spend money if its not necessary. I would not worry about the tires either, at least not yet, id be more concerned about MAYBE upgrading to a larger higher amp alternator but its still not completely necessary. You may want to go through the first storm with just a few accounts and see how the truck does without anything extra but the plow, ballest, and you will probley need the timbrens however you can see how well the truck holds the plow before it snows. Once you see how the truck performs you know exactly what you need/ don't need. Make upgrades when you have the $ or feel its necessary then you can feel more confident taking on more accounts and doing more plowing. Just my .02 cents. PLEASE if you are operating on a tight budget don't let anyone here tell you that you have to get anything more than a plow (which you alredy have), the rest is up to you. You are the only one who can truely decide exactly what you need/don't need. Otherwise treat everythig you hear as something to consider. Good Luck!!!